Neurology Community
An adult shaking when excited

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

An adult shaking when excited

I'm 21, but since I was a child I have had urges to shake my hands and legs vigorously when I get excited. It is controllable and I do it to a lesser extend than when I was a child but I wonder if this is some kind of medical condition?

I read it is possibly a symptom of asperger syndrome?  
Hello.

You need to check if you have other symptoms of Asperger's syndrome as well. Can you mention here if you have any other symptoms which you consider to be helpful ? Have you been diagnosed Asperger's syndrome ?

I am not aware of any other particular condition which causes such symptoms. It could be a conditioned reflex, formed in the childhood.

Regards
Avatar n tn
I have the same problem. I'm 22. Always shaken my arms and legs when I get excited and have assumed it was a type of asbergers.
Avatar n tn
It could be SMD. If anyone does know can they please inform us?

I don't know if Someonerather is the same but I don't share the same symptoms as asperger, just an urge to shake hands and legs when excited. It's as if I have excess energy I need to burn off.
I'm 27 and have the same sympton since i was maybe 6 years old my cousin same age has it too. Usually i shake and make lil noise twisting my hands, tighten all muscles, usually visualizing something exciting.  Usually gets my adrenaline going but i'm just afraid that i might be stressing the body or heart. I'd like to also find more information on this Please
I'm 22 and I've been doing this since my childhood. I almost always do it when I picture something exciting. What worries me is I cross my eyes when I do it and I hope thats not damaging it.
From what I understand, this is called repetitive stereotypy, and can be associated with aspergers, OCD, or some other conditions, but also occurs on its own in normally developing children. If this is the case (as it is with me, I'm now 23 and have always been social, and graduated near the top of my class) these symptoms are harmless.  
I do this as well.. is there a way to fix it?
Avatar n tn
I have had this issue since infancy. My mother first noticed it when I was 2 months old. I have been extensively tested for epilepsy and the only diagnosis they can come up with is psychogenic seizures.  Normally, I just shake all over when excited or very happy. I was disciplined as a child whenever it happened and told I looked retarded, so I don't do it in front of others.  I still don't understand how I can control it around others but seem to have no control over it when alone. I documented it once for about a week and found that I have about 10-20 of these episodes a day. Rarely, I also get painful headaches afterwards.  I also rarely get an aura when around others, but, like I previously said, I can control it and not let it happen (not the aura, the shaking). When I was 16, I had a series of petit and gran mal-like seizures for almost a month, and that was when I was tested and diagnosed with the psychogenic seizures. I have never found a satisfactory reason for these shaking episodes (they happen every freaking day!) and have been basically blacklisted by many neurologists who are just passing me off as mentally ill. It's frustrating. I am glad to see that I'm not alone, though I'm not glad that others have to deal with this. It feels good, though, since I've been convinced my entire 37 years of life that I was some kind of freak.
Sounds like it might be Tourette Syndrome. It's characterized by repetitive stereotypic involuntary movements and vocals that are called tics. They usually occur more when one is nervous, anxious, exited, or drowsy. In other instances tics may be an ADHD symptom instead of Tourette's.
Same- I am 35 and have had this, my hands rise up in front of my face and shake, my heart and breathing race. It's always when I am extremely excited, like when I play a video game or watch a movie with alot of action. I learned to not do it in front of others in around second grade because my teachers thought I was epileptic and my family and friends made alot of fun of me- I learned to control it. BTW, I was also the top of my class in school. One other thing, I was born with umbilical cord strangulation and 'blue in the face.' I have always suspected I have some brain damage. I like my alone time and have always had a "know it all" personality that has made it hard for me to make friends. Any information that could help me improve the quality of my life and my relationships would be appreciated.