Aneurysm of anterior cerebral artery
Dear Sir/Madam,
My mother aged 55 years was undergone clipping surgery for anterior communicating artery aneurysm three months before. She was in ICU for 10 days. After 17 days post surgery she was relieved from hospital. After that for about 15 days her condition was slightly improved, but later on again she shown symptoms of irrelevant behavior. So once again CT scan was done and it was found that Hydrocephalus was developed. So another surgery for VP Shunt was done i.e. after around 1.5 months after first surgery. Presently her condition is quite fluctuating. She speaks and can take food nicely, Memory is recovering slowly, able to walk with little support. But Major problem is she is not able to sit without help i.e. she has weakness in her lumbar region. Today only she has high fever and little bit swelling near neck along with  shunt. I am not able to go to Neurosurgeon but was observed by a general surgeon & opined that swelling is normal and gives some treatment for fever. He also suggest that there isn't any blockage of shunt.
I am in very much tense about my mother. So kindly help me.
Thanks & Regards.
Dr. Bagal Akaram
M. V. Sc. Pathology (India)  
Thank you for your question. Although without being able to examine her I can not offer you the specific advice on diagnosis and treatment that she needs, but I would try to provide you some relevant information about her health concern.

Cerebral or brain aneurysm is an abnormal widening a brain blood vessel at its weakened area. This may occur as a congenital (present since birth, familial) or may occur later in life due to injury, birth defects, or neurological disorder and it is life-threatening. Most serious consequence is stroke that may occur if this bursts in the brain. Factors that may cause this or contribute to its rupture are smoking, hypertension, head injury, family history of brain aneurysms. Investigations like CT angiography, MRI, CSF examination (presence of blood) are essential to reach at diagnosis here. Neurosurgery is the mainstay of treatment that may be suggested by a neurologist after examination. In addition, rehabilitation is the only effective way to help the patient regain function to the possible extent and prevent from permanent losses. If rehabilitation program is appropriately instituted, most of the stroke patients can regain maximum functions with appropriate therapy, training and support services. Hope this information proves helpful to you.