Neurology Community
Aneurysm

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Aneurysm

Good day!

My maternal grandmother suffered an aneurysm in her 60's. The only reason she survived it was because she had had a shunt inserted in her head a few years prior after a stroke. 4 of my grandmothers 6 sisters also suffered strokes starting in their 60's. My question is this (as silly as it may sound), my grandmother had a funny shaped head. Narrow/normal and the front and quite a bit larger at the back. You would never notice it with a full head of hair but finding hats etc to fit was nearly impossible.  I, as well as 1 niece and my 2 year old daughter also have this same shaped head.  Could this possibly put us at a higher risk for an aneurysm? Could the shape of the head have anything to do with the presence of an aneurysm? Is this something we should be checked for?  It is not known if any of the sisters who had strokes also had this abnormality.

Many thanks for your assistance/input.

Best regards
Elizabeth
Thank you for your question. Although without being able to examine her I can not offer you the specific advice on diagnosis and treatment that she needs, but I would try to provide you some relevant information about her health concern.

Cerebral or brain aneurysm is an abnormal widening a brain blood vessel at its weakened area. This may occur as a congenital (present since birth, familial) or may occur later in life due to injury, birth defects, or neurological disorder and it is life-threatening. Most serious consequence is stroke that may occur if this bursts in the brain. Factors that may cause this or contribute to its rupture are smoking, hypertension, head injury, family history of brain aneurysms (so sisters may have). Common symptoms could be loss of vision, headache, eye and neck pain, seizures, paralysis, gait disturbances etc. Investigations like CT angiography, MRI, CSF examination (presence of blood) are essential to reach at diagnosis here. Neurosurgery is the mainstay of treatment that may be suggested by a neurologist after examination. Hope this information proves helpful to you.