Neurology Community
Aneurysms and Hypoplastic Right A1 segment

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Hi, I'm a 31 year old female that recently had an MRI/MRA. The MRA said that there is no evidence for hemodynamically significant stenosis or aneurysm measuring greater than 3-4 mm in size of the major intracranial arteries. And that the right A1 segment is mildly hypoplastic as compared to the left. What does this mean? Does that mean that they saw some aneurysms, but that they are small? Do I need to worry about ruptured aneurysms or stroke? If so, is there anything I can do to prevent either? Thank you.
Hi, Thank you for your question. Cerebral or brain aneurysm is an abnormal widening a brain blood vessel at its weakened area. This may occur as a congenital (present since birth, familial) or may occur later in life due to injury, birth defects, or neurological disorder and it is life-threatening. Most serious consequence is stroke that may occur if this bursts in the brain. Factors that may cause this or contribute to its rupture are smoking, hypertension, head injury, family history of brain aneurysms (so sisters may have). Common symptoms could be loss of vision, headache, eye and neck pain, seizures, paralysis, gait disturbances etc. Investigations like CT angiography, MRI, CSF examination (presence of blood) are essential to reach at diagnosis here. Neurosurgery is the mainstay of treatment that may be suggested by a neurologist after examination. Hope this information proves helpful to you.

Thank you for the information, that is helpful. I appreciate your time and information.