Anterior Cervical Discectomy with Fusion at C5, C6, C7
Recently I had surgery for an anterior cervical discectomy with fusion at C5,C6,C7 and it went very well.   It was on July 5, 2011.  Everything went well and I went home the next day.   I am still at home recuperating and within the last week I have gotten constant severe muscle aches and pains in my arms and legs with no relief from muscle relaxers, tylenol or advil.   It keeps me up at night.  I no longer wear the neck brace and have not done physical therapy.   I am going out of my mind with lack of sleep due to these aches and pains.   Can this be associated with the healing process or something different?   I am not one to take pills and was off my pain meds within a week of returning home.   I do not want to go back to them, not that they would help, because I do not want to get addicted.   Please help.   Thank you.
Hi there. These surgical decompressive procedures related to intervertebral discs need time to heal and revert the nerve function the prolapsed discs were compressing prior to surgery. You need to continue with the painkillers, the anti inflammatory and analgesic drugs in the postoperative period for the pain associated with tissue handling during surgery and also it takes time for nerve function to be restored. The nerve function would be restored only if the damage was reversible or neurpraxia. Resume physical therapy according to the medical advice. Hope this helps. Take care.

Thank you for your quick response.   I assume this is why I am getting such aches in my leg and arm muscles then.   Any general idea how long it takes for the nerves to heal after this surgery?  Thank you again.