Neurology Expert Forum
Anxiety Rash

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Anxiety Rash

Since this summer i've started to get these rashes all over my body. They are these red spots usually starts on my chest, neck, and thighs, and if break out was really bad, it would spread all over my body. They are incredibly itchy and also stings like being pinched by needles.
The weird thing is the outbreaks are triggered by anxieties. I get them when i'm feeling anxiety, angry, nervous, or if i'm drinking, feeling heat, overall just anything that makes me anxious and self aware. I could be standing there talking to someone and all of sudden I would feel a burning sensation and rash starts to creep up. Usually if I sit down and "cool" off the rash would be gone in minutes but in some situations its much more difficult to control, esprcially when i'm at work or social events. I would be aware of the red spot and itching and desparatly try to make it go away and it gets worse the more i think about it.
These rashes tend to be daily routine for me, I get them at least one a day if i could control my mood. If the weather is hot I pretty much have them constantly. I couldn't go out to social situations anymore because the itching is getting worse. The first doctor i went to see thought it was somekind of allergy and gave me allergy medicines and they didn't work.
Any treatment suggestions?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with your doctor.

Without the ability to examine you and obtain a history I can not provide you with a diagnosis for your rash nor recommend treatment however I will try to provide you with some useful information.

While certain types of rashes/hives may be more likely to occur in patients with anxiety, this is what is called a diagnosis of exclusion: the diagnosis is made only after other more common causes of rash such as allergies or infections have been work-ed up with testing and have been excluded with negative testing. You may benefit from evaluation by a dermatologist for further evaluation of your rash.

One type of rash associated with anxiety is benign light eruption. This is basically a rash that occurs with sun exposure and has been associated with anxiety and commonly occurs in younger women. Other types of chronic hives for which a cause is not identified also are associated with higher levels of anxiety and depression. However it has not yet been established whether or not the anxiety and depression are the cause of the rash/hives, the result of them, or that both are caused by yet a third unidentified factor.

If you seem to develop a lot of anxiety in various situations, it is important to discuss this with your primary care doctor as you may benefit from evaluation by a psychiatrist, psychologist, and you may possibly benefit from medications for anxiety such as certain anti-depressant therapies which work well on anxiety as well. Continued follow up with your primary care physician is strongly recommended, it is important for you to share your questions, concerns, and symptoms with him/her.

Thank you for using the forum I hope you find this information useful good luck.