Neurology Community
Anxiety and Fasciculations

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Anxiety and Fasciculations

My question is very simple.  Can anxiety produce fasciculations?

Background-  I am a cronic (chronic) worrier and definitely obsessive when it comes to health matters.  I am a 36 yr male who recently watched a documentery on Michael J. Fox and saw his horrible symtems.  The next day, I began noticing every twitch and unusual feeling in my body, furthermore the fasciculations began and got progressively worse as I did a great deal of research on the internet.  The more I researched the worse my symtoms (symptoms) became.  When I able to get my mind off of these conditions I seem to do much better.  I have seen two neurologists and both diagnosed with Benign Fasciculations and told me not worry about als anymore.  They both felt that muscle testing was not needed.  I find it hard to believe that anxiety can produce these physical symtoms (symptoms), but then again the mind is a powerful tool.  Have you ever seen a patient that seems to get worse with the more research that they do on the internet.  Should I get one more opinion or just head directly to a psychiatrist?

Thank you.
As you said, the mind is a powerful tool.  I'm not a doctor, but considering your symptoms did not surface until after you saw the documentary and that they progress further the more research you do....this would lead me to think that anxiety is playing a part.  I have also saw a commercial or read an article that described a disease/illness by listing several symptoms, and I can always identify with at least 1 of the symptoms.  Confirm with your doctor, but I'd bet money that it's your nerves.
Hi Skipper 5 - I think we are kindred spirits!  I am a 36 year old female and have been experiencing twitching in my right bicep on and off for a little over a month.  I am also a worrier with a very stressful and busy life.  I am worried about such terrible diseases as ALS.  I don't have any other symptoms and am seeing my neurologist next week.  I realize I am "borrowing trouble" by worrying about this but that little niggling voice in my head won't be silent.  I think my obsessive worry about it this week has made it worse!  I am really trying to give this over to God and am glad I am going to the neurologist next week.  I hope I can have some peace about it.  I hope you find peace too and feel better.
Yes, we are all kindred spirits indeed.  I have never once worried about ALS until a friend told me about his friend who is quite ill with it.  I researched the symptoms on line and within two or three days, I started twitching noticeably and then the panic set in.  The Neurologist checked me out and everything appears fine but as soon as I start to calm down, something new pops up and reinforces the anxiety.  Today I noticed an almost constant twitching in my tongue and Im back in the bad place again!  I called the nuero who told me that if the twitching in my tongue was related to ALS, I would have shown other symptoms when he examined me 3 weeks ago and to just try to relax. I'm still shaking though and appreciate info on what fasciculations in the tongue are like.

My thoughts and prayers are will all of us who have such vivid imaginations that we torture ourselves.  However, don't forget the people who really are sick.  They are far worse off than we are.  Support stem cell research and pray for breakthroughs.  Peace.
Anxiety and Depression are very very powerful !  I know first hand that they can produce many physical symptoms that can lead  you to believe you're very sick from some illness.

My Anxiety and depression were caused by post-viral syndrome, but at the time, I didn't know that, so I was mired in a couple of months of not knowing what was wrong with me.

Meds helped me.  I went on Paxil and Zyprexa and my life was put back on track.   I encourage you to ask your doc to refer you to a Psyciatrist.
Definately we are kindred spirits!

I am 43/F. I have been having a twitching in my left thumb for about 3 weeks... and I'm freaked out to say the least. An acquaitance from High School just recently died of ALS and another friend has MS. So my mind is running a muck!

After going through YEARS of trying to find a doctor to listen to me and not just prescribe sleeping pills or anti-depressants, finally an MRI confirmed I had a large, golf ball sized tumor on my pituiatry gland. Then trying to treat it for another couple of years on dostinex. It stopped responding, so in Jan. they removed it. As a direct result of that... 13 weeks later all of my reproductive organs were removed.

So now this twitching (that comes and goes)... with occasional bursts of what feels like "pins and needles" poking me accompanied with what feels like a tingling sensation in my right foot.

I don't know if the pit. surgery, or hysterectomy, my own homrones (or lack of them) are causing the symptoms, a pinched nerve or the high stress and axiety I've place on myself is the root. But I'm really scared!