Neurology Community
Any idea what this may mean?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Any idea what this may mean?

Help... can someone help with this MRI?
At C4-5 there is a small left paracentral disc osteophyte complex slightly indenting the thecal sac and almost touching the cord. There is no significant neuroforaminal impingement. At C5-6 there is diffuse disc osteophyte complex with spinal stenosis. The AP canal diameter is narrowed to 8 mm. There is neuroforaminal impingement, right greater than left.At C6-7 there is minimal left lateral recess disc bulge with slight left neuroforaminal impingement.
I am having severe pain in my neck, that radiates down both arms (mostly right) into the hands. I also have numbness and tingling in my hands. I can not sit in an upright position for an extended period of time; also my legs become extremely weak when I stand up even for 5 minutes.
At C4-5 there is a small left paracentral disc osteophyte complex slightly indenting the thecal sac and almost touching the cord. There is no significant neuroforaminal impingement.

Sometimes when a disc bulges, it will become calcified (harden) and additional osteophtyes (bone spurs) can form this is what is called a disc osteophtye complex. The report says it’s indenting the thecal sac. The thecal sac encases the spinal cord and contains fluid to protect and feed the nerves. Indenting in this case means pushing or compressing. So the report is saying that the disc osteophtye complex is pushing and compressing the sac and is almost touching the spinal cord at C4-5. There is no significant neuroforaminal impingement, means that the disc osteophtye complex is not narrowing the foramina or compressing the nerve roots significantly. The neuroforaminal is where the spinal nerves emerge from spinal canal.

At C5-6 there is diffuse disc osteophyte complex with spinal stenosis. The AP canal diameter is narrowed to 8 mm. There is neuroforaminal impingement, right greater than left.

At this level you another disc osteophyte complex that’s causing spinal stenosis, stenosis means narrowing, so the osteophyte complex is causing your spinal canal to narrow some what, it doesn’t say how serious it is. Here you do have foraminal impingement, I’m not familiar with that term; usually they say foraminal narrowing or osteophyte or disc causing nerve root impingement. So I don’t know if this means you have definite nerve root compression or not, I'm assuming you do. This pinched C6 nerve root is probably causing the majority of your pain.

At C6-7 there is minimal left lateral recess disc bulge with slight left neuroforaminal impingement.

Here you a disc bulge minimal affecting the lateral recess, that’s an area the nerves travel and you have slight left sided neuroforaminal impingement, which is mild.

Any of this could be causing your neck pain, C 5-6 neuroforaminal problems would account for the right sided arm pain, numbness and tingling down into your hands.  The weakness when standing could be from your canal stenosis.

You have a few issues here my friend particularly at C5-6. Although its nothing that can't be taken care of, try not to stress too much.  Where are you at with your treatment, have you been sent to Physical Therapy yet, what are your Doctors telling you? What are they recommending?
Hi, Thank you for your question. Presence of osteophytes (spurs) and narrowing of foraminae are indication of degenerative disorder of spine. Cervical spine disorders such as spondylosis and myelopathy are often related to osteophyte formation. Osteophytes in your neck leads to nerve irritation leading to mild to severe pain in related area supplied by those nerve coming from that area of spinal cord and difficulty in breathing or eating may also be possible.  I would advice a multidisciplinary approach involving orthopedician (as basic treating doctor), neurologist and surgeon consultation (upon referral of your treating doctor) for your problem. A multi-disciplinary approach includes: Immobilization using a collar or braces; Physical therapy and manipulation (chiropractic) can also be useful in decreasing muscle spasms that can contribute to your pain symptoms. Medications include painkillers like NSAIDs, and muscle relaxants. Surgical Treatment (of removing bony spurs/osteophytes or removal of intervertebral disc) comes into picture when treatment by non-surgical procedures fails. Hope this helps.

Thank you for your response to my question. Since my original posting I have received results from the lumbar spine MRI ( I still have the thoracic to go)

At L5-S1 there is mild facet arthritis with a minimal central disc bulge. At L2-3 there is small right foraminal disc protrusion minimally indenting the right aspect of the thecal sac. There is really no significant nueral foraminal impingement. Disc fragment does extend slightly behind the L2 vertebral body. At L1-2 there is a small central disc protrusion without significant mass effect.

I am trying to gather as much information as possible about what is going on with my back as I've had to almost beg my doctor for these tests. Unfortunately, he was of the opinion I had chronic fatique/fibro.