Neurology Community
Arachnoid Cyst?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Arachnoid Cyst?

I am a 30 year old female and have been having headaches in right back of my head and dizziness for the past 2 months.  finally my PCP sent me for a MRI and i was found to have an arachnoid cyst.  what exactly does this mean?  she is sending me to a neurologist...so what will he do?  She seems to think i just have migranes (migraines) and tension headaches.  So anyone can help...please help explain this to me!!!!!!!! I am just tired of feeling like i am gonna fall over everytime i am in public.
thanks
Arachnoid cysts are cerebrospinal fluid-filled sacs that are located between the brain or spinal cord and the arachnoid membrane, one of the three membranes that cover the brain and spinal cord.  

Primary arachnoid cysts are present at birth and are the result of developmental abnormalities in the brain and spinal cord that arise during the early weeks of gestation.  

Secondary arachnoid cysts are not as common as primary cysts and develop as a result of head injury, meningitis, or tumors, or as a complication of brain surgery.

The need for treatment depends mostly upon the location and size of the cyst.

If the cyst is small, not disturbing surrounding tissue, and not causing symptoms, some doctors will refrain from treatment.

Earliar doctors placed shunts in the cyst to drain its fluid.  

Now with microneurosurgical techniques and endoscopic tools that allow for minimally invasive surgery, more doctors are opting to surgically remove the membranes of the cyst or open the cyst so its fluid can drain into the cerebrospinal fluid and be absorbed.

Untreated, arachnoid cysts may cause permanent severe neurological damage when progressive expansion of the cyst(s) or hemorrhage injures the brain or spinal cord.  Symptoms usually resolve or improve with treatment.  

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/arachnoid_cysts/arachnoid_cysts.htm
http://www.emedicine.com/radio/topic48.htm

hi my 18 year old daughter suffered with headaches for four weeks we were back and forth the doctor where first he treated her for migraine however before her next consultation the followng week she experienced double vision and her personality suddenly changed for the worse i mentioned this to the doctor who then arranged a ct scan where an arachnoid cyst was diagnosed she was immediately taken into hospital and operated on 3days later with a shunt fitted to drain off any build up of fluid i questioned the surgery but was told there was no option as if she did not have the surgery she could possible slip into a coma and never wake up since the operation 2months ago i now feel it has given her  a new life looking back this has given her problems for several years but we did not even know it exsisted
I'm 57 and have an arachnoid cyst in the left temporal lobe of my brain.  I had a shunt inserted in 1998.  The only reason they found it was because of my double vision.  My eye doctor sent me for a CT scan and it was discovered.  When this happened, they got me to the neurosurgeon immedieately.  Everything was rushed. They took me on a day when they don't usually see patients.  

But if you were referred to a neurologist rather than a neurosurgeon, it doesn't sound like they want to insert a shunt.  It's probably not as bad as mine was. The neurologist can help with the headaches and dizziness.  Maybe the neurologist will decide if you just need treatment or if you need a shunt or even the newer procedures that are described in your first response.

Mary
Hi Jennifer,
Arachnoid cysts are cerebrospinal fluid-filled sacs that are located between the brain or spinal cord and the arachnoid membrane.
Arachnoid cysts are benign cysts that occur in midline in relation to the arachnoid membrane and do not communicate with the ventricular system.
Patients usually are asymptomatic even if the cyst is quite large. MRI is the diagnostic procedure of choice.
Any signs suggestive of raised intra-cranial tension like vomiting, headache, visual disturbances, irritability in you should alert you to visit a neurologist at earliest.
Patients usually are asymptomatic even if the cyst is quite large.
Fully Endoscopic Resection of Intracranial Symptomatic Arachnoid Cysts can be performed. Other operative procedures for treatment of arachnoid cysts include stereotactic cyst aspiration, cysto-cisternostomy and ventriculocystostomy.
Ventriculo-peritoneal shunt is another option for treatment.
Any signs suggestive of raised intra-cranial tension like vomiting, headache, visual disturbances, irritability should alert you to visit a neurologist at earliest to check for functioning of shunt.
Hope this helps.
Bye.
Hi mary im stormy im 51 and have been told i have arachnoid cyst that is 1.5cm so its not very big but its causing alot of problems.
I just heard about this from "The Doctors" tv show.  My family thought it was something worth asking about.  I have a history of migraine and have had a headache for nearly 6 weeks now.  However, no migraine has ever lasted this long and none have been resistant to the normal migraine treatments.  I had a CT when I was in the ER a few weeks ago but that showed nothing abnormal.  I am on 50mg of elavil per night (not working and not helping me sleep).  The headaches get worse when I move around.  Migranal made me extremely ill and injections of imitrex did nothing but make the pain temporarily worse.  Should I be thinking about the arachnoid cyst being a possibility?  Is there any other condition that would cause all of this?  Thanks!
My Husband is 32, had a MRI the doctor thinks it might be a Arachnoid cyst, He has had severe migrane (migraine) headaches enough to vomit everyday. His doctor told him this would not cause the migranes (migraines). Everything we have read about this says migrane (migraine) head aches and he also gets nose bleeds. His cyst is in the very back bottom of his brain. He has an appoinment this Monday to discuss treatment, Any sugestions?
Does anyone know if this is a cyst???????

I had an MRI yesterday following referral by my GP. Symptoms are dizziness/ vertigo, pins & needes/ numbness/ pain in arms and legs, photosensitivity, migraines, low platelet count, hyper reflexes.

As everyone probably does I have gone over my MRI scan (which was done on spine and brain) and have attached the images which concern me. What is the white dot and swelling? As it looks to have permiated the brain membrane do you think it looks like a cyst, meningitus,  Encephalitis or something else?

Selection of Images =

http://tinypic.com/r/b6u0yp/5

http://tinypic.com/r/2rghsno/5

http://tinypic.com/r/2zekmfm/5

http://tinypic.com/r/1zfoqdz/5
Hi, Stormy. Im JeezyJ. 45  yr old female. I was just diagnoised in july with anarachoind cycst.  before I was  diagnoised, I have always  had glacoma, but in june, my pressures were normal. When I returned in sep for my eyes , My pressures were up in both eyes. I had always taken medication for the pressures. I went to see a neurologist and he told me, that I was born with it, I told him I wasnt, because I have previous MRI from 09,10. There are no cyst present then. now 2011 There is one , on  the left side of my brain. I have had  a test to see wheather seizure activity has occured, and thank god I havent had a seizure. But now I get headaches so awful, like I want to vomit what should I do???? I do not even kniw how small, or large it is.I return for a follow up in feb. I feel  some what confused at times also. what should I do???? my doc isnt taking it seriously.
My 4 year old daughter has a Arachnoid cyst on her spine that is 7.9 cm  that is big! it is on the backside so she will have surgery soon. she tells me her arm from her shoulder down is tingling and sharp pain down to her hand. the promblem is she is way to young for surgery! but i cant wait for them to get that cyst off her spine!!! she also has alot of bladder promblems to! it is putting alot of prusser on the spine!!  Lamanecktmy and spinal infusion will have to be done. trying to wait till she is 6 years old to do surgery!