Neurology Community
Arachnoid Cysts

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Arachnoid Cysts

My godchild is 14 years old and was just diagnosed with an arachnoid cyst the size of a fist, she has had headaches and temporary sight loss. Can this be left untreated
No, it can't be left untreated. But if you are unfortunate to find an ignorant neuro, they may tell you otherwise. I am an Arachnoid Cyst patient, and I have dealt with palinopsia because my cyst was pressing on my occipital lobes, gait disturbances because my cyst was also squishing my cerebellum, and a wide variety of other symptoms. I have had 11 brain surgeries, and countless procedures. I failed every single adult shunt system available in Philadelphia, and basically spend a year in the hospital.

I now campaign for Arachnoid Cyst patients that they find the treatment they need.
Hi.
How are you doing?
Arachnoid cysts are developmental malformations in the brain, which usually remain asymptomatic even if the cyst is quite large. However, minor head trauma can damage the existing cyst, leading to some complications. This gives rise to symptoms of raised intracranial pressure and nerve compression such a headache, visual disturbances, seizures, weakness or paralysis on one half of the body) and loss of muscle control. Frontal arachnoid cysts have been associated with depression.
They are generally incidental findings on MRI scans. Some other tests could be mini mental state examination (MMSE) and cognitive questionnaires. Treatment is however controversial. There is difference of opinion among clinicians whether to treat only patients with symptomatic cysts or even asymptomatic patients also require treatment.
You should discuss treatment options with your neurosurgeon, which may include anything from no intervention to surgical decompression to excision of the cyst to provide relief from symptoms. Hope this gives you some insight.
Regards

Can you  help my mother is 84 and has just been diagnoised with a cyst on her brain.  What is the treatment for some of her age.  She mas many other health issues one is chronic COPD.  Please could you give me some assistance on this.  I live so far away from her and I am worried about this.

Thank you
Hi, I am 19 years old and a sophmore in college.  I got into a car accident and got whip lash really bad so I went in and got a CT scan and that is when I found out I had an arachnoid cyst that is pretty big in the front left side of my brain.  I have not had any symptoms of this cyst throughout my life.  Is it possible to go through life with a cyst and never have a symptom?  I am worrying myself to death because I feel like, after reading all of these posts, that I am going to/ supposed to have symptoms.  The only symptom I have had is probably instances of pretty bad depression.  I am very clueless on my hole situation and I guess I am just looking for answers.  Can an arachnoid cyst kill you?  what are the chances that I will have symptoms at some point in my life???
I have just seen a neurologist who has told me my symptoms are down to migraines.  I had an MRI after a car crash in 2008 where an "incidental" arachnoid cyst in my temporal lobe was found. To be fair I accepted the neurologists opinion that this was nothing to worry about. 5 years later, 6 months after a second car crash I have developed intermittent electric shock pain around that area,  I feel disorientated and have blurred vision. This is not constant.  I am a physiotherapist so part of me wants to accept the professionals answer but part of me wonders whether re-scanning to check for anu growth might be wise.  Such a nightmare!
I have just seen a neurologist who has told me my symptoms are down to migraines.  I had an MRI after a car crash in 2008 where an "incidental" arachnoid cyst in my temporal lobe was found. To be fair I accepted the neurologists opinion that this was nothing to worry about. 5 years later, 6 months after a second car crash I have developed intermittent electric shock pain around that area,  I feel disorientated and have blurred vision. I am a physiotherapist so part of me wants to accept the professionals answer but part of me wonders whether re-scanning to check for anu growth mig