Neurology Expert Forum
Arachnoid cyst symptoms?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Arachnoid cyst symptoms?

In the middle of May of 2006, I experienced a strong headache (both sides of head, around the temples), accompanied by slight numbness in both arms and the lower part of the face. An MRI was ordered which revealed an arachnoid cyst in the inferior-medial aspect of the right temporal lobe (overlying the petrous ridge). The dimensions of the cyst are 2.9 x 1.3 x 1.6 and it appears to be extra-axial. The rest of the MRI report seems to suggest that the surrounding areas are not affected. Following contrast, there is no pathological enhancement. Ever since the onset of that headache in May, I've had weird symptoms (every day): slight headaches (not in one specific area), woozy feeling in the lower part of the head (it seems like my head is getting heavy and my brain is about to
First of all, keep in mind that I am unable to diagnose you because I am unable to examine you, this forum is for educational purposes.    
   Arachnoid cysts are congenital and have been there all along.  They are generally incidental findings on CT/MRIs done for other reasons (headaches in your case).  The vast majority of people with arachnoid cysts never have symptoms related to the cyst.  In a small fraction of people, cysts have been associated with seizures, headaches and cyst expansion/rupture.  From the symptoms you described, I suspect that you have a primary headache disorder (likely migraine headaches).  Other possibilities (less likely) include anxiety, increased intracranial pressure from an expanding cyst and seizures.Your headaches are not likely to be related to your cyst, but there is testing that can help decipher this.  I would recommend a PET scan (FDG-Glucose PET) of the brain.  If the Cyst is causing damage to the surrounding brain, then the areas around the cyst may show up as an area of hypometabolism.
Another tests that msy be helpful is an EEG (electroencephalogram).  For the migraine possibility I would suggest a trial on Elavil 25mg at night (a preventative medication).  I would also recommend a repeat scan in 3 months to monitor the size of the cyst.
I hope this has been helpful.
I am a 41 year old women. I have for years just had a tender spot on the left side of my spine, just below the shoulder blade.  About 3 months ago the pain greatly increased along with other spots on my spine having increased sensitivity.  After seeing my regular Dr., taking anti-inflamitory meds., and seeing a chiropractor it was recomended that I go to an ortheopedist. I have had two MRIs and have been told that I have arachnoid cysts on my 6th and 7th thorasic as well as on C7-T1 and T7-T8.  
I have a few Questions.  Do these cysts spread and enlarge to create more problems than I am having at the present time?  I have also had what I was told is a blockage in my left inner ear.  I have not been able to lay on my left side for at least a year without getting an ear ache.  Could this be a cyst?  What treatments are available?  I am currently in physical threapy because the muscles in my back are severly inflamed and tightened up from holding my posture wrong.
Thank you for any insight you may be able to give me.
A related discussion, cyst symptoms was started.
A related discussion, WHAT TO DO??? was started.
A related discussion, CYST was started.