Neurology Community
Arachnoid cyst

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Arachnoid cyst

I found out I had an arachnoid cyst in my brain few months ago because I was suffering horrible headaches. Its in the lower back part of my brain, about the size of a grape. I get CONSTANT headaches though, could this be the cause of it? Because the headaches radiate around the right side of my head then to left side.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Your constant headache seems to be due to arachnoid cyst but actually symptoms depends on size and site of the cyst.Arachnoid cysts are cerebrospinal fluid-filled sacs that are located between the brain or spinal cord and the arachnoid membrane, one of the three membranes that cover the brain and spinal cord.These are benign cyst,mostly due to developmental anamoly.Typical symptoms of an arachnoid cyst around the brain include headache, nausea and vomiting, seizures, hearing and visual disturbances, vertigo, and difficulties with balance and walking.There has been active debate about how to treat arachnoid cysts.  The need for treatment depends mostly upon the location and size of the cyst.  If the cyst is small, not disturbing surrounding tissue, and not causing symptoms, some doctors will refrain from treatment.  In the past, doctors placed shunts in the cyst to drain its fluid.  Now with microneurosurgical techniques and endoscopic tools that allow for minimally invasive surgery, more doctors are opting to surgically remove the membranes of the cyst or open the cyst so its fluid can drain into the cerebrospinal fluid and be absorbed.Untreated, arachnoid cysts may cause permanent severe neurological damage when progressive expansion of the cyst(s) or hemorrhage injures the brain.Symptoms usually resolve or improve with treatment.
Best wishes,
Regards,
Hi Bodogjoe! I have recently been diagnosed with the same thing, it sounds like the same location as well.  I have had headaches since I was about 15. I am 26 now, and they have gotten worse.  They used to be dull throbbing, constant pain, but they were 'manageable' In the last 6 months, I have had at least one episode a month, no more than 3- where the pain is so bad I can hardly bear it. They come with vomiting, and some visual disturbances.  I have noticed that laying flat on my back makes me dizzy.  I dont know If I could say thats vertigo or not, but I dont think its normal.  Are you having any of the same things?  I am also having kidney problems too.  From the research I have done, the back of your brain, somewhere controls your involentary functions(breathing, heartbeat, liver/kidney,etc.).  I think my kidney trouble is related to the cyst.  I dont mean to rant about my symptoms, but you are the first person I have come across, that has the same location of the cyst =)  There is no doubt in my mind this is why I have headaches, I would guess the same can be said for you.  Let me know if you are having anything like I mentioned.  I really dont think there is much info out there on arachnoid cysts........take care