Neurology Expert Forum
Archnoid Cyst

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Archnoid Cyst

My son is 11 and has a Archnoid Cyst, I have no idea how he got it. we knew he had it since he was 2 years, He also has Dylexsia and stuggle with  School., I notice that he stuggle at school, . memory is our big concern, the doctor say don"t worry unless something happen to him, such as headaches. Do learning problems interfer with Archnoid Cyst? Memory?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

Arachnoid cysts are sacs filled with cerebropsinal fluid (CSF) which is the fluid that normally bathes the brain and spine. This fluid is normally located in the part of the brain called the subarachnoid space.

Most commonly, these are primary arachnoid cysts, cysts that are present from birth and result from a minor developmental problem that occurred while the brain was developing. Secondary arachnoid cysts are those that develop secondary to trauma, infection, or after brain sugery. It is not always possible to tell if the cyst your child has is primary or secondary. It is difficult to say if the arachnoid cyst is contributing to your child’s difficulties with school. Arachnoid cysts, in most people, do not cause symptoms and are found incidentally when they present with an unrelated problem or symptom. Depending on the size and location of the cyst, they may cause seizures (which can cause “memory” problems), psychiatric problems, and headaches. Some cysts resolve spontaneously, but most arachnoid cysts remain the same size or increase in size only slightly in adulthood, and others fluctuate over time. Asymptomatic arachnoid cysts incidentally found should be left alone.

I agree with your child’s physician that the arachnoid cyst is unlikely causing his difficulties in school. However, depending on size and location of the cyst, it may be useful to obtain an EEG to rule out seizure activity.  

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.