Neurology Expert Forum
Are Fasciculations common in cervical spinal cord compression?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Dear doctor,

I am a 41 year old woman. Six months ago, I started having paresthesias in one foot.  In three weeks, the paresthesias (sharp and dull) spreaded on all my body .  Then my legs felt weaked, fasciculations ran all over my body and my right hand started shaking being clumsy.  I had a normal MRI of the brain and abnormal sensory evoked potential. The cervical MRI came back showing an important and severe spinal cord compression due to a simple herniated disc on C5-C6 level. My spinal cord was shaped like a crushed S. After one month, being at home, resting, made my symptoms slowly disappeared  and the only symptom left were the fasciculations (but they were less important).  

I went through surgery three weeks ago and had an anterior discectomy with a graft taken from my illiac crest.  After two days, I was able to climb the stairs and do all the normal things at home.  But the paresthesias in my foot is back (it always feels like it is frozen, except at night when this symptom goes away) the weakness in my legs came back, on and off.  What mainly worries me are the fasciculations that seem more important all over my body.  This symptom does'nt seem to improve.  And it is a lot worst than before my surgery.  I just discovered that fasciculations are more common in MND and I now wonder if one could have such a desease and see symptoms regressing for 4 months? Is it common to feel twitching all over your body (except on my hands and feet and face) for a spinal cord compression in your neck?
Fasciculations can occur due to cervical spinal cord compression - Please see my answer to the question on 1/5/05 for more information on fasciculations

It would be unlikely that you have fasciculations from cervical cord compression AND ALS. Yes they are a common symptom of ALS, but there are a variety of other causes, the number of which probably outnumber the number with ALS.

The surgery should prevent any further worsening of damage to the spinal cord, but does not necessarily fix what damage has been done already.

Good Luck

PW
I began having burning in my neck and then I got TMJ, and migraines.  The doctor says I have Cervical Muscular Syndrome.  It has now spread to my mid and lower back and I have severe stiffness, stabbing pain in my neck and severe spasms in my back, even if I just bend over. I am going to Neuroligist in couple weeks.  The only way I can function is on pain meds.  I want my life back.  There was no apparent injury causing this.  Is it a disease of some sort? ANY suggestions to discuss with doctor would be a godsend.