Neurology Community
Are Random Muscle Spasms throughout the body normal?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I am 29 years old and have a history of HD in my family.  My father has begun to show what I deem to be some signs of having this disease and I have begun noticing random tiny muscle spasms in my arms (mostly triceps and biceps), legs (quads and calves) and some in my stomach even.  Please advise if I should be worried or if this could just be attributed to the stress of thinking about my father suffering.

These are not really twitches as I have seen in my uncle who suffered from HD.  He had chorea in hands and face and I have not experienced spasms in face, feet or hands at all.

This discussion is related to chance of having Huntingtons disease.
Hi.

It is very hard to tell if this would eventually progress to Huntington's.  Only time can tell us that.

However, the most common reason for these twitches is still stess, and if you have no other symptoms, simple obsevation may be recommended.

Other angles to look into would include electrolyte abnormalities such as that of calcium, magnesium, or potassium.

Regards.
Hi Winston27: I am only seeing this post now and hope that you have the answers you're looking for. But I couldn't help but respond. From my experience with families who have HD the best way to determine whether an at risk person has it is by simply making the decision to get tested. Of course that is a personal decision and should be made with the professional support of a medical team that specializes in HD (you may refer to HDSA.org). I have heard of cases in which people thought they were gene positive for years only to find out they were negative. And visa versa. Making the big decision to get tested is very delicate and should be taken very seriously. Although there are not many treatments out there, there is a hopeful future for the HD community as research is coming closer and closer to finding a way to stop this disease. Good luck and feel free to contact me whenever with regards to this topic. -Lucy, HD advocate