Neurology Community
Are symptoms related to arachnoid cyst?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Are symptoms related to arachnoid cyst?

I was diagnozed with an arachnoid cyst in the right temporal lobe with dimensions of 2.9 x 1.3 x 1.6. Since the cyst was detected, I have been having weird symptoms: mild headaches almost every day (not on one particular side but kind of moving around), heavy-head feeling (like my bran is about to "shut down"), pressure in the ears (like the feeling when a plane is taking off), fatigue, slight numbness in both arms. Two neurologista have told me that the cyst is not causing the symptoms, so I should just monitor it from time to time (e.g., every 6 months or so). I really want to believe them, but it seems like too big a coincidence--I can't help but feel that the symptoms are somehow related to the arachnoid cyst (it is true that my symtoms (symptoms) worsen during my period). Does anyone have an experience with this type of cyst? How fast do they grow? What else could these symptoms be related to?
it is not a coincedence I have a small arachnoid cyst as well and have the following symptoms, head pressure (feels like it might explode) vertigo, nausia, trouble walking I stumble and fall over a lot, I have trouble concentrating and a buzzing noise in my ears that is present most of the time. Do yourself a favor and go to Ask.com and type in Arachnoid cyst and you will find the symptoms they can cause your symptoms are typical for Arachnoid cysts. My symptoms havegotten so bad I barely funtion when I get moving trying to do everyday activities. I can not do them without great difficulty. My Cyst is very small 1.7x1.2cm I do also have a large collection of CSF on my pituitary and what they call empty sella variant. I pray the best for you as I am getting the same Bull that you are getting, pray-fully they will get to the bottom of your soon. God Bless
Hi there!

Arachnoid cysts may cause pain symptoms since they can impinge on the nerves of an outer layer of the brain called the dura mater.  The pain maybe diffuse and unlocalized.  Pain medications can lessen or relieve the pain.  The fatigue and numbness may not be attributable to the cyst and you should inform your primary care physician about it.  I agree that monitoring the cyst maybe the best course of action since surgery is reserved for large cysts or for cysts that are causing debilitating symptoms (adding to the fact that brain surgery carries a significant risk).

I suggest you consult with pain-specialists to maximize pain control and to continue to follow up with your neurologist.  Take care and God bless.
Whoever this "Doctor" is, this is to let you know that continually posting that a cyst is not the problem when we ALL have the same symptoms and *gasp* a CYST on our brain, is ridiculous.  I sincerely hope you either 1) stop posting answers or 2) actually try to figure out the similarities involved with all of us that have cysts and similar health complaints.  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that the cyst MUST be causing this-it is, after all, the reason we were seeking an answer-and the answer was found in the form of a CYST.
I was diagnosed a couple years back with a small cyst on the left temporal lobe. And at that time my neuro mentioned that some, if not all, of my symptoms were caused by the cysts pressing up against surrounding tissue. At that moment i had the same symptoms u had including facial, brain, and leg numbness. This was a horrifying discovery especially first thing in the morning.  The numbness often lasted anytime between a few minutes to hours.  Eventually the numbness went away but the headaches remained.  At that time my symptoms didn't warrant such an invasive surgery. However due to increasing head pressure and recurring symptoms it looks like i might have to.  

*The main concern for anyone w/ an arachnoid cyst is the possibility of hemorrhaging due to the increased size of the cysts stretching/tearing a surrounding blood vessel*
Apparently most neurologists believe that arachnoid cysts are asymptomatic and do not require treatment. I say that it’s a load of crap!!
About 8 years ago, while I was lying in bed I realized that the entire room was spinning as if I were hung over.  My wife took me to the ER and they discovered that I had an ear infection in my left ear which was the cause of my vertigo and loss of balance. I was given antibiotics to treat the infection and within 3 weeks the symptoms subsided.  Unfortunately, however, a few months later I realized that I had a persistent ringing in my ear and what felt like pressure on that side of my head.  I went to an ENT and discovered that I had severe hearing loss in my left ear along with tinnitus.  The ENT sent me to have an MRI done, where they discovered that I had an arachnoid cyst. I followed up with a neurologist and was told that the cyst “had nothing to do with my hearing loss or other symptoms.”
Well fast forward to the present and not only did the vertigo, dizziness and loss of balance return but the chronic tinnitus, and pressure in my head is worse.  Along with the fact that I now have hearing loss in my right ear as well. Another MRI explains that I have a “cystic extra-axial lesion involving the left middle cranial fossa, measuring 4.6 x 3.3 cm….” and “There is moderate mass effect on the adjacent temporal lobe.”
Once again, I was told by a neurologist that the cyst has nothing to do with my symptoms, and that I'm probably suffer from Ménière's disease.  Meanwhile the ENT can’t figure out what is wrong with me.
So I did my own research. I’ve come to discover that any kind of “mass effect” may cause symptoms due to compressions of certain structures of the the brain which can cause a number of ailments. Furthermore, a cyst can mimic a Ménière's disease attack.  
I know that the cyst is on one side of my brain and probably can’t cause bilateral hearing loss, but still it just seems too coincidental that I suffer from all of these symptoms when I don’t have anything else wrong with me. I'm frustrated and angry that no one can tell me what's wrong with me. And that health care professionals dismiss the cyst I have as the cause of my symptoms.
Geo. hope your ok. I have exactly the same problem.
I had a bad motorcycle accident ten years ago. Up until recent about two years ago i had a severe vertigo episode and tunnitus in right ear for a while. Its recently come back and well what can i say its effecting everything i do.

I dont even want to leave the house.
I got diagnosed with menieres disease but 18 mnths ago had a mri and it showed a arachnoid cyst on i think right tenporal lobe.  

I think this must be the cause now from what i have read etc. my consultant in nuero science said the cyst was not much to worry a out etc but he hasnt helped much to be honest.

Be good to see how you are etc. im 28 and in england.

Regards

Steve
Hi to everyone, I'm new to this and never posted before but I agree that the cyst seems too much of a coincidence, I'm 21 this is my story...
Two years ago I stood up and had a massive pain up my back, diagnosed with two prolapsed discs and degenerative disc disease. After lots of other treatment, I had spinal surgery which has failed and my back is still as bad as ever. I had to leave Uni and my two jobs and was on bed rest and high morphine doses so I had been pretty down.
On an MRI for my spine, they found an arachnoid cyst on my brain in the posterior fossa but had no symptoms, a year later, I had several seizures losing consciousness and at one point stopped breathing, I had a headache lasting over three days where I was crying in pain (I have coped with a lot of pain but this was something else) I felt as though my head was going to explode. After several episodes, I was diagnosed with epilepsy. I also have problems with one of my ears when I am on the telephone it becomes very uncomfortable.
I just feel as if this is all too much of a coincidence that all my problems are connected as they're both neuro yet my surgeon says they are not connected and that my cyst is not the cause for my epileptic symptoms.
You are the first person to mention vertigo in relation to cysts. My vertigo was first thought to be related to high blood pressure medications. During the search an MRI found a cyst behind my right ear which I was told was nothing. After several changes in meds, my bp is stable but the vertigo is worse and headaches more frequent. Now I'm going back to neurologist. I found this community searching for a vertigo link. To my cyst. Anyone else?
I too have the same problems with vertigo and was told it was Ménière's disease.  The hearing loss that came on quickly in my right ear from what I have been reading can be connected to the Arachnoid Cyst.  I have been struggling with this for years now.  Lacefairy, I would like to know what meds they are using for your BP as I am now on 4 and they do not seem to be doing me any good.  I may finally have a neurologist that is listening to me and I will be seeing a neurosurgeon soon.  
I was wondering if any of you guys have painful scalp
My daughter is 7 years old and she was diagnosed with an arachnoid cyst when she was 3 years old on her left temporal. Just on August 2013 she started complaining a lot of dizziness and it has be constant and persistent. I have taken her to the Er at the children's hospital where she is attended by her neurologist . They performed a fast MRI and said the cyst was stable ... It's a 3cm cyst pushing on her left temporal lobe. So, that night I went home with no answers. Then I took her to an E.N.T., which referred her to have an ENG done and everything came out fine. That was out of the way. They did prescribed her with meclizine just to see if it could help her dizzy spells. Although, she didn't have any problems with her ears and so on. After, a while on trying with meclizine and no results I took her back to the Er on February 2014 and they told maybe its vertigo . Ok, here we go again no answers because vertigo is also a symptom of the cyst ,but yet they don't think so. I went to the neurologist that same week and I explained everything and then he ordered a video EEG . Nothing came up!!! Ok so they have asked me questions of my history and family history . I said I have migraines at times.. So based on my answer they have decided to diagnose my daughter with migraine that is Related to vertigo as we'll.  I am getting very anxious and I have decided to change hospitals. My daughter is always complaining about this and she also vomits and gets nausea. She says she has to stop playing at school due to her dizziness. I ask her to rate the dizziness from 1-10 and the only respond that I receive is the lowest : 3 and the highest : 11.  This is during the whole day she will tell me one minute it's a 4 the next an 8 , then a 5 then to a 10.  I want to help her and feel like I have my hands tied, I am not giving up and I will go to second, third, and even fourth opinions. The to me it's ironic how everyone has the cyst and complain about the same symptoms, yet doctors believe it doesn't. Odd . -_-
I have had a craniotomy for my arachnoid cyst. Now I am 9 months post surgery.  I'm very grateful that my pressure headache went away at the time of the surgery; and has never returned.  But I would like to hear from others who have had the craniotomy to know how long it might take to regain balance.  I don't know if I'm trying too hard; or not enough; because I have regressions.  Now I'm just taking significant rests 2 times a day; and doing no activity for over 90 minutes.  
Hi there I am new to forums forgive any mistakes. Reading all of the above I think you must all be in the states - here I Britain we are decades behind you. I found out that I had a large primary arachnoid cyst on the on the left side of my brain after having a routine scan when I accidentally knocked myself out walking into a plank (Laurel and Hardy have nothing on me when it comes to being clumsy). I have suffered from literally blinding head aches, pressures in the head, times when I am in so much pain I am locked in the fetal position when the smallest movement causes extreme pain - right now I have deafening tinnitus and a pressure pain. I always struggled in school and was constantly amazed at how everyone else found it so easy to concentrate - I basically had to teach myself i am now 51 and have degrees in maths, science,  education and art. All the doctors seem to offer here is a shunt (a pipe from the brain to the stomach) which I have heard bring their own set of problems. Two years ago i had key hole surgery to have the cyst drain (basically they drilled into skull just above my left ear) - the morning of the proceedure the surgeon ask me which side it was on which didnt inspire much confidence. The day after i work in a splendid new world feeling how most of the rest planet must feel without head pains - unfortunately the cyst filled back up - i understand that removal of cyst is more common in thUS i am looking for somebody experienced in removal here, I also suffer with the arm and leg numbness as previous have mentioned.
Basically my philosophy on life is a day without laughter is a day wasted and even with all of the pains I have on a daily basis there are very few days I haven't laughed with someone. Forgive any typos, to top it all off I am dyslexic.- remember laughter can sometimes be the best tonic - I wish you all well and a positive future.