Neurology Community
Arm and Leg Feeling 'Asleep' and Heavy

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Arm and Leg Feeling 'Asleep' and Heavy

Hello, I’m posting these questions for my sister who is 34 years old.  I’m extremely worried about her, and any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.  I feel like her doctors are at a loss, and she doesn’t know where else to go.  I'm not sure if the beginning symptoms are related to her issues now, which are her left arm and leg feel asleep and heavy, face feels stiff, extreme fatigue.  I’ll start from the beginning.  She had a baby a little over a year ago.

In January of this year she was experiencing numbness that started in her arm and leg, and by the time she got to the emergency room she felt totally paralyzed.  They did an MRI of the brain, which was normal.  They put her on IV”s, and this seemed to help.  The doctors said that it was dehydration.  It took several weeks for her arm to feel ‘normal’ again.  

In March she had severe stomach pain, she went to the doctor and they did a CAT scan which was normal.  Later that month she had chest pains and she had a chest x-ray and stress test that came back normal.

In May she noticed that her hair was thinning.  She went to the dermatologist who said it could be female pattern baldness, but her ANA test came back at 80.  She went to an endocrinologist and rheumatologist who did several tests, including test for Lupus and Thyroid.  All the tests came back normal except one of the Lupus tests came back positive for anti coagulant, but the doctor said nothing to worry about.  

During all of this, her left arm and leg have felt numb or like they’re asleep off and on (happens more when she’s lying down).  

About 5 weeks ago the 'asleep' feeling in her left arm and leg have been constant.  She describes them as feeling tingly and heavy.  She also feels like the right side of her face is stiff and feels ‘different’.  She is also extremely fatigued and dizzy, and some days she can’t get out of bed.  She’s also seeing black spots in her right eye (off and on).  She went to the neurologist 2 weeks ago, and they did a nerve conduction test which was fine.  The neurologist doesn’t want to do another MRI because she had one in January.  He hasn’t done a spinal MRI, which an ER doctor recommended.  She’s very worried that she has MS.  If it was MS, would it have been detected in the MRI in January?  Are there any other ways to test for MS?  Is there anything else that this could be?  Are there any questions she should be asking the neurologist?  Is a neurologist the correct doctor she should be seeing?  For some reason, she’s not getting a lot of help and support from the doctors.  

Thank you for reading this post, and any advise or suggestions would be extremely appreciated!!