Neurology Community
Arm and leg issues

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Arm and leg issues

I am 56 years old.  3 months ago I woke up to terrible pain in right arm, numbness in my hand and weakness picking up some of my fingers..  I also could not sit. After a week I also had occasional numbness between my big and 2nd toe on my right foot.I was treated with PT and pain killers.  After 5 weeks was pain free, the numbness was reduced dramatically and I was left with an inability to lift my right index finger and occasional numbness between my toes.  Today I can still not lift my right index finger, have occasional numbness in both hands, have numbness in my right foot and sometimes in the left as well. The numbness generally disappears when I lie down.   I also get what feels like pockets of jumping electricity, mostly in my left leg but in other parts of my body as well. The "electricity"almost never happens when I walk or exercise (I go to a gym 3 days a week) and mostly occurs when I sit. I went to a neurologist and my neurological exam was ok except for the weakness in my right hand.  A CT of my neck showed small bulges in c3-c4 and c4-c5.  An EMG showed chronic reinveration problems in all muscles tested in both arms, with the right arm being worse than the left.  I have scheduled an MRI and was told to have another EMG in January.  I am very anxious and noted that some of the symptoms, left leg numbness, "electricity, started after I was asked if I have them.  What else should I check?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Dear Efraim, welcome to medhelp forum. I can understand your dilemma over the health issue. Your symptoms could be because of prolapsed intervertebral disc at C3-C4, C4-C5 levels. This damage is age or poor posture related. Trauma due to sudden jerky forward neck movement can cause weakness, pain, tingling, numbness, and electrical sensation in shoulder and arms. Weakness and decreased sensation are also noted. You also have symptoms in the legs, which could be due to the prolapsed disc pressing on the spinal cord. You would require an MRI spine for precise detailing of findings. Management would depend on diagnosis if confirmed. Conservative measures like NSAIDs, rest, epidural injected steroids; physiotherapy etc. surgery is the last resort in case these symptoms persist.
You need to consult a neurologist for a detailed clinical evaluation along with relevant investigations.
You are welcome with any further queries.
Wish you all the best.
Thank you Dr. Sharma.  Would a prolapsed intervertebral disc at C3-C4, C4-C5 levels explain the EMG results as well?.   Can I expect my hand to return to normal at any time.  Will Vitamin B12 and alpha lipoic acid supplements help.