Neurology Community
Arm and leg pain and numbness, seizure, face numb!

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

For over a month I have been seeing a local neurologist. I was taken to the hospital from work after having what appeared to be a seizure. I have had several of these episodes and was put on Topomax (topamax) and I am now up to 100mg dosage. I have not had the seizure activity which would include twitching of the face, eyes and arm (right). It would always be followed by a bad headache and a sort of numb a laziness of right side of face. Now to back up several years....I have been having problems raising my arms above my head, I would get pain and tingling in my arms and they would sort of just drop down and I would have to sit down to keep from passing out. I learned to sort of live with this and deal with it. It comes and goes in its severity. Okay back to now. Now I am not having the seizure activity but will find my eyes will twitch uncontrollably at times. But the main thing is over the past week and a half each day I have gotten worse concerning my arms and legs. I mean I know the side effects of the topomax (topamax) with the pins and needles and I had that but this is not it....this is something else. This is like the pain I had when raising my arms over my head but now it is worse and it is keeping me from doing so much. I can't wash my hair, type, write, brush my little girl's hair, etc. It has now moved into my right leg. I have trouble walking,etc. I am still getting a head ache over my right eye. Some face drooping but not much. Still no seizures. Help! I don't know what this is and no one seems concerned. I had MRI, CT, EEG, etc when at the hospital in the beginning they said all normal. Doc is treating me for migraines. This isn't migraines. I feel like I have no muscles in my arms. I have little bursts of normal in the day when I can get up and do something but then in no time I loose it and it is gone. I have lost a lot of cognitive skill and work in a very stressful work environment and I have had to miss a lot of work. I am very scared. I have always been a very active woman and I don't understand. I am 35.

Thanks for writing in.
There is a possibility that these are symptoms of complicated migraine since all your tests have been normal and no neurological lesion has been found. Complicated migraine is diagnosed after excluding common causes of neurological symptoms.
These could also be symptoms of excessive anxiety and stress. I would suggest you to do some breathing exercises and meditation everyday.