Neurology Community
Arm heaviness/weakness, hands numb and shaking

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I'm a 30 yr. old female who has experienced approx. 3 bouts of these same symptoms over the past 5 years.  They are not debilitating, but very annoying and now have me concerned.  I have had bloodwork done for Lyme's disease, thyroid, diabetes and anemia as well as an EMG test all of which came back normal.  I notice the symptoms most when I'm at rest or performing fine motor skills, especially the hand/finger shakiness.  The arm heaviness is noticeable most when my arms are above my head or doing things such as holding the phone, typing, etc.  Heaviness is also very noticeable at rest.  This particular bout has last about a month and while sometimes I think it's getting better, it just seems to hang on.

I am tall and thin and do not have the best posture.  Also, I have not been exercising a lot for the past few years. I've heard about Thoracic Outlet Syndrome, but am concerned about more serious diseases such as MS.  I am hoping to start yoga to try and build up my shoulder muscles to see if that will help with posture and symptoms, but I'm very concerned as I have always been healthy.

Is it right to be concerned about MS?  I guess I'm wondering what the likelihood is of that given the symptoms I am experiencing.

Thank you,
Ricky
Avatar n tn
Hi Ricky,
I feel you are justified in thinking about MS as long as it sounds reasonable.
MS can cause changes in sensation, muscle weakness, abnormal muscle spasms, or difficulty in moving; difficulties with coordination and balance; problems in speech or swallowing, visual problems, fatigue and acute or chronic pain syndromes, bladder and bowel difficulties, cognitive impairment, or depression.
The initial attacks are often transient, mild and self-limited. The most common initial symptoms reported are: changes in sensation in the arms, legs or face (33%), complete or partial vision loss (optic neuritis) (16%), weakness (13%), double vision (7%), unsteadiness when walking (5%), and balance problems (3%); but many rare initial symptoms have been reported such as aphasia or psychosis.
Your symptomatology as of now does not sound like you are having MS.
There are definitive guidelines, on which the diagnosis of Multiple Sclerosis is based. There are definitive lesions (suggestive of MS) on MRI also.
Once internationally accepted criteria’s are satisfied, then diagnosis of multiple Sclerosis can be made.
I think you should consult Neurologist ASAP.
Follow the instruction of your neurologist.
Wait for the MRI report to come.
Hope this helps you.
Bye.
Avatar n tn
Thanks for this info.  I did see a neurologist and will continue with a 6 wk. follow-up, which was scheduled after I had the EMG.  Another condition I am wondering about is Addison's Disease.  Would my symptoms warrant looking into that as well?  I have always been thin, regardless of exercise, but have gotten thinner within the past year or so, and of course there is the arm heaviness/weakness and hand weakness/shakiness.  I also have a moderately dark complexion and have always tanned easily and dark.  I am planning on asking my neurologist about this, but would another specialist be better to speak with about this or other endocrine or adrenyl conditions?

Thank you again.
Ricky
My name is Naomy and I only want someone to tell me what I may have. Ok, There is something wrong with my right hand. It all started about 4 or 5 months ago. My symptoms were terrifying. My hands turned all different colors from pale white to really red and then to purple/black. I went to the dermatologist, nothing. I went to a rheumatologist, nothing, then I went to the ER. They thought it might be Raynaud's disease, but after a few months later that went away, but now I have another problem with my same arm and hand. Now every time I apply pressure on my hand to write something, like literally within the next 15 seconds these medium to dark blue lines appear on my right hand and sometimes both my hands. My symptoms for this are numbness in my entire arm. My muscles feel very week and it feels like they are getting pulled down. My hand does not sweat anymore, in fact it is more dry, but it does start shaking. I told my teacher and she used to be a medic, and she told me it might be a pinched nerve or Hypernatremia. Please tell me what you think
Thank you.