Neurology Expert Forum
Arm tightness, calf pain, headaches

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Arm tightness, calf pain, headaches

About three months ago I began experiencing pain in left leg calf and tightness in left arm, and funning feeling in my left side of my face.  Over the past three months it has moved from left left into right leg too, almost like a cramp in my calves but no cramp and also into my feet.  Recently started having more headaches and sinus problems.  A few days ago I had my left arm go completely weak and couldn't use and had a severe headache that wouldn't go away for three days.  Today it is better but my left arm still feels tight and weak.  I went to the doctor yesterday and they said all my scans had turned out ok, except waiting on one contract MRI for lesion on back of skull (they don't think it is ianything).  He mentioned that the Neurologist that saw me in the ER a few months ago said he might suspect complex Migraines but I haven't seen him yet.  After my bout at the ER I decided to try a chiropracter and that didn't work. Now I am scheduled to see the Neurologist in a few weeks for complext migraines?  Has anyone had these problems and had any relief.  I feel like I am going crazy... My left arm feels so funny and my calves keep me awake at night.  All my blood work and everything comes back normal. Sometimes doctors make me feel like it is all in my head but I know that it isn't.

Any words of advice or support on this???

J.S
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with your doctor.

Without the ability to examine you and obtain a history, I can not provide you with a diagnosis. However I will try to provide you with some information.

It sounds like you are having headaches, and that you had an MRI that was negative.

It it is also important to understand that after a headache has been adequately worked up with imaging, physical examination, and by history taking, a diagnosis of primary headache disorder can be made. There are several causes of headaches. Headaches can be divided into primary and secondary. Primary headache disorders are headaches without a direct cause. Secondary headache disorders are due to an underlying problem, such as a tumor, aneurysm, medication side effects, central nervous system infections, clots in the veins in the brain etc.

There are several primary headache disorders, over 50 different types.  For example  migraines, which usually a pulsating throbbing one-sided pain with nausea and discomfort in bright lights that lasts several hours. Another type is cluster headaches, which are sharp pains that occur around and behind the eye often at night and are associated with tearing of the eye and running of the nose. In primary stabbing headache, sharp or jabbing pain in the head occur, either as a single stab or a series of brief repeated volleys of pain. Primary stabbing headache often occurs in people with migraine.The pain itself generally lasts a fraction of a second but can last for up to one minute in some people.

Most commonly, migraines are described by patients as being on one side of the head (though it can be on both sides), pulsating/throbbing, associated with nausea and sometimes vomitting. Light and sound often bother people with migraines. Migraines can, though not commonly, be associated with other neurologic symptoms such as weakness on one side of the body. In this case, the migraine is called complicated migraine (it is complicated by other symptoms). This is however a diagnosis of exclusion, and other causes of weakness/pain on one side of the body need to be ruled out. The other potential causes of this are multiple and it is difficult to provide you with suggestions without being able to obtain further details.

It is a good idea to see a Neurologist. He/she can examine you, obtain a history, and determine whether or not you need further testing to determine the cause of your cramps, weakness, and headaches. If a diagnosis of migraines is reached, there are several potential treatments. If in the long run you do not find relief from your headaches, you may benefit from evaluation at a specialized headache center for evaluation by a headache specialist, who can then make recommendations to your local primary doctor or physician regarding management of your headaches.

Thank you for using the forum, I hope you find this information useful good luck