Arnold CHIARI
I have just been diagnosed from 2 doctors following an MRI with Arnold Chiari.my symptoms are severe pain in the back of my neck,inside where my skull meets my neck.Also the whole back of my head hurts.Also my hands fall asleep alot.One doctor gave me 4 shots in the back of my neck which he said was a nerve blocker and that should stop the back of my head from hurting.He said I can come back every 3 months for these shots.It did stop my head from hurting although my neck still hurts and turning to the left or right fells limited.What can I expect to happen in the future from Arnold Chiari? I am now 48 years old.

This discussion is related to arnold chiari.
Dear

Chiari malformations (CMs) are structural defects in the cerebellum, the part of the brain that controls balance. When the indented bony space at the lower rear of the skull is smaller than normal, the cerebellum and brainstem can be pushed downward. The resulting pressure on the cerebellum can block the flow of cerebrospinal fluid (the liquid that surrounds and protects the brain and spinal cord) and can cause a range of symptoms including dizziness, muscle weakness, numbness, vision problems, headache, and problems with balance and coordination. There are three primary types of CM. The most common is Type I, which may not cause symptoms and is often found by accident during an examination for another condition. Type II (also called Arnold-Chiari malformation) is usually accompanied by a myelomeningocele-a form of spina bifida that occurs when the spinal canal and backbone do not close before birth, causing the spinal cord to protrude through an opening in the back. This can cause partial or complete paralysis below the spinal opening. Type III is the most serious form of CM, and causes severe neurological defects. Other conditions sometimes associated with CM include hydrocephalus, syringomyelia, and spinal curvature

Medications may ease certain symptoms, such as pain. Surgery is the only treatment available to correct functional disturbances or halt the progression of damage to the central nervous system. More than one surgery may be needed to treat the condition.

Many people with Type I CM are asymptomatic and do not know they have the condition. Many patients with the more severe types of CM and have surgery see a reduction in their symptoms and/or prolonged periods of relative stability, although paralysis is generally permanent.