Neurology Expert Forum
Arteriovenous malformation

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Arteriovenous malformation

Hi, I have been diagnosed with a AVM in my pons. This was discovered incidently during my MS workup. I am 37 years old and I am 12 weeks pregnant and was concerned about the risks that may be involved.
Does the risk of rupture increase significantly?
Also, because of my age and 3 previous miscarriages, my OB/GYN RXed low dose aspirin and progesterone therapy. They did not RX Heparin.

Thank you very much for your reply.

I presume you mean, does the risk of rupture increase in pregnancy. There is no hard data, but the risk shoud not significantly increase, and is very low. If you developed the complication eclampsia at the end of the pregnancy (uncontrolled high blood pressure) then the risk might increase slightly, and your doctor should be aware should this rare complication occur. This has probably been there all your life, aspirin should be safe, although heparin might be contraindicated, depending on what it is being used for.

Good luck
May I add the size of the AVM is 5 mm.  Thank you.
Hi, I`m a 25 yr. old female from VA.,USA. After I had my daughter in Aug. of `02, I had some neurological problems that caused me to have to see a neurologist. I was having tingling, numbness, twitching, and vibrations in my arms and legs that were driving me nuts. After several tests and MRI`s, the doctors could find nothing. However, they did find a cavernous angioma in the left front lobe of my brain measuring about 1 cm. I had several opinions as to what it was. One of the neurologists thought it might be an AVM, and sent me to a neurosurgeon. The neurosurgeon said it was a harmless venous angioma, not to worry & do nothing. So after several different diagnosis`, I went to the Cleveland Clinic in Ohio, where they diagnosed me w/ a cavernous angioma w/ adjacent venous angioma. They have monitored it 2 yrs. now, and say that it`s stable. So anyway, I just wanted to say if you haven`t had a 2nd opinion on the malformation, maybe you should get one. These neurologists and surgeons tend to see things different sometimes. Also, there is a good website for people with cerebral malformations at :www.angiomaalliance.org if you haven`t already been there. It`s a nice support system for people like us. Take care, and good luck to you. I hope all goes well w/ the pregnancy.