Neurology Community
Arthritis or Neuropathy?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Arthritis or Neuropathy?

At the age of 33, one day I was fine, healthy etc. Went to bed and the next morning woke up with excruciating pain deep inside my r/knee area. Couldn't get out of bed or walk. That was the start of my (disease)? Went to an orthopedist. Got cortisone injection, gave me anti-inflammatories, sent me home told me to rest. Pain never went away, but it subsided a bit. Pain flared up again after about a month, ortho referred me to rheumatologist. More anit-inflammatories for a while. Pain disappeared for a bit but reappeared in the exact same area but the OPPOSITE  knee.
Same deal, more cortisone shots,etc. And just like that, pain has come and gone moving around different joints in my body. R/ elbow then L/elbow, hand, wrist, shoulder, toes. At the present time, I'm 41 and still in pain, still seeing rheumatologist. Diagnosed with RA. (have seen 4 drs. in the past 8 years). I have had all the blood tests which have been all in normal range. No RF present. Negative Anti-CCP. etc etc. The only thing that would be on the high side at times would be the CRP #'s. Which would come down with medication like prednisone. I've taken all kinds of meds, some to name a few: Naproxen, Vioxx, Celebrex, Diclofenac, Mobic, Sulfasalazine, Plaquenil, Clinoril, Lodine, Methotrexate, Neurontin, Methilprednisolone, Prednisone,  HUMIRA injections. (These are the ones I remember). My current regimen is Humira 1wk., Leflunomide 1day and tapering off of Prednisone. But guess what?? I'm still in a lot of pain in my L/elbow and some pain in R/hand and wrist. I have come to doubt I actually have RA. Perhaps I have some weird unknow disease not known to the medical community. HELP!!!!!!!
Hi.

From what you have described, the symptoms are most likely arthritic in nature and the migratory pattern of these arthritides is really a diagnostic challenge.  This is commonly due to rheumatoid arthritis, arthritis due to infections, or connective tissue diseases.  Infections that can induce these forms of arthritis would include rheumatic fever and an uncommon form of urinary tract infection. I suggest that you discuss with your doctor regarding these other factors (the infection angle) and be worked up for such.  These can be treated with antibiotics if proven.

Regards.
I am a male aged 50 and am experiencing exactly what you went through 3 years ago. have you come to a conclusion as to what this condition is?