Neurology Expert Forum
Astrocytoma Grade IV
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Astrocytoma Grade IV

Re: Astrocytoma Grade IV

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Neurology and Neurosurgery Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by CCF MD Adendum on November 12, 1997 at 12:55:11:

In Reply to: Astrocytoma Grade IV posted by Jennifer Tscherney on November 06, 1997 at 15:46:14:

: My father was diagnosed with an Astrocytoma Grade IV brain tumor in the left side of his brain in June of 1992. He was 55, strong and otherwise healthy at the time of diagnosis.  Surgery was performed for removal. Within 24 hours post-op he started to bleed and the surgeon had to enter to repair the bleeding.  He has not had chemotherapy or radiation.  To this day, he remains paralyzed on his right side (he can walk with a cane and some support) and he is unable to verbalize any words, except for one swear word, although he understands what people say to him.  From my studies, I understand that malignant tumors of this grade usually return.  It has been five years and there is no sign of return. The surgeon stated that he removed the entire tumor (he thought) and that it was his inclination that my father had a stroke after the initial surgery and the stroke caused his paralysis and speech condition.  Does this sound logical for patients with this type of tumor?  Do you have any statistics or information on patient survival? Thank you, in advance, for your response.
============================================================================
Just wanted to add that in the St Anne-Mayo grading system grade 4 astros are considered anaplastic and have a better prognosis than GBM's but the
median survival without treatment is still around 2 years.