Neurology Community
Asymmetrical tongue

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Asymmetrical tongue

I am like most who fear ALS. I've had the twitching throughout my body, but no weakness. I've read enough to know that the twitching itself is not a big deal without actual weakness, but one symptom is far less subjective.  My tongue is noticeably larger on one side (my right).  It could be easily seen as muscle atrophy on the left side.  It is quite obvious. The dividing line down the middle of my tongue is not centered, being closer to the smaller side. However, I have no muscle weakness on that side of my tongue.  I can tent my cheeks on either side with equal force.  I have no difficulty in swallowing or talking.  Other than the obvious asymmetrical appearance, I have no symptoms.  So, my question is; what comes first, the atrophy followed by physical symptoms, or could my physical symptoms follow soon.  Thank you.
Avatar n tn
Not that I am a doctor but from reading this forum and other sites it seems the atrophy is accompanied with the symtoms (symptoms) at the same time.
I don't suppose this is of any help but I have gone the same route of discovering I have an altogether asymetric face, especially that my mouth is a little crooked.

I got this latest after thinking that I "need" weakness to go with the fasciculations, of course I get fasciculations on both sides of my face so I suppose I am just going looking for trouble and seeing things that maybe have always been there.

I think so far as how atrophy manifests itself it is really best to leave that up to a professional else one will only torture oneself further as I do.

Crooked mouth or not, the side that would appear to me to be weak is actually more capable of flexibility than the side that appears better musculated but that is what you get from hyper observation.

I had a similar problem a while ago before this, of observing that my abdomen protruded more on one side than another. I mentioned this to my Dr, who put me up on the table and said she could not see it. I can still see it however.