Neurology Expert Forum
Atrophy and Loss of Sensation to Left Deltoid

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I suffered a dislocated left shoulder and contusion to the left upper side of my shoulder between the upper deltoid and neck (trapezius)area when I attempted to takle another player during a football game nearly 21 years ago.  
Following the injury my doctor immobilized the left shoulder for at least 6 weeks.  After taking the splint off the left deltoid had suffered nearly total atrophy and I found I had numbness to the outer deltoid.  
I have never regained feeling to that outside general area and still have only 70 strength when lifting to the side or back with my shoulder.  The left deltoid has never regained full muscle tone (especially the rear deltoid) and I have some limited motion.  It feels as if my shoulder may slip again when pressed in a downward and forward motion.  I have been through therapy, have lifted weights and received electric "shock" and there has only been a limited positive response.
Is there a correlation between possible nerve damage to the deltoid and lack of muscle tone and strength?  Can surgery repair this deficiency?  Will I ever regain feeling in my shoulder?  Is there anyway to correct the lack of feeling?  Why did the shoulder suffer atrophy?  Did immobilizing the joint contribute to the loss of muscle and/or sensation of my deltoid?
This condition has been very frustrating and any assistance or advice that you may give me would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You for providing this service.
Rodney
Muscle atrophy can occur from lack of use or nerve injury. However, the loss of sensation and partial recovery of power may suggest a nerve injury. If this was a nerve injury it would be to late to surgically repair. Also if this was a nerve injury, it is unlikely that more function would be regained. Without examining you and reviewing your history I cannot provide an accurate clinical diagnosis. I hope this helps. Good luck.
1 Comment
A related discussion, front deltoid injury was started.
A related discussion, atrophy of deltoid - no injury was started.