Attn: Dr Julia Toub
6 weeks ago I had blood taken and when the phlebotomist put the needle into my arm I screamed immediately and asked her to remove it, she didn't do this and moved the needle around looking for the vein.

I had incredible pain, electric shock feelings running down my arm, tingling in my fingers and twitching of muscles so I saw a doctor at my local hospital and he has diagnosed me with median nerve damage and prescribed me carbamazepine after unsuccessfully trying amitriptyline.

I complained to the hospital where I had the sample taken and they have written back to me and basically said that its not a complication of blood sampling to damage an nerve and in 28 years of experience they had never seen or heard of it.

Are they just covering their backs? Has anyone else ever heard of it? The pain and weakness in my arm and hand is really bad and I can't write or drive. I'm a secondary school teacher and I'm currently unable to complete my job properly
hi,it is unlikely to damage median nerve while sampling.I hope and wish that you are not suffering from fibromyalgia or any other nerve disease.

Temporary spilnting along with pain killers(anti inflammatory) might help.

bye