Neurology Community
Aura Migraines???

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Aura Migraines???

I am 42 years old and have been suffering from facial disfiguring on the left side of my face only, swelling of the left eye, loss of sight in the left eye because of this, pain on the left side of my head which grows worse as time goes on.  After the disfiguring of my face eases up I get severe pain on the left side of my head and the back of my head to where I don't want to even move any part of my body.  I have been to 2 neurologists who have both said that I have what is called "aura migraines".  The first doctor gave me many different medications to try that none helped.  So I sought out another oppinion.  This doctor also said that I am having "aura migraines" but he wants me to continue with one medication, "Topamax" and he wants me to go to the hospital for 5 days in a row for IV treatments of "Salumedral".  I have been through so much, in and out of the hospital, under gone several different tests and now from what I have read of this medication, I didn't read anything about helping migraines.  I am tired of being used as a guinee pig concerning these headaches, so I would greatly appriciate any answers you could give me of if you have ever heard of using this medication for this type of headaches and or do you agree that this is what I have?  Thank you.  I look forward to hearing from you.
   I think your doctors meant Migraine aura without headache which occures in a much older person than you , who already known to have migrain earlier, but they lose the headache and stay with the episodes of aura.
But If I have to call  your case any thing it would be a migraineurs with unilateral cranial autonomic symptoms which is reported  to respond very well to triptans esp  to sumatriptan, and zolmitriptan better than other migraineurs. these are some reference to disscuss with your neurologist
Cephalalgia. 2007 Jan;27(1):22-8
Cephalalgia. 2002 May;22(4):256-9
Headache. 2003 Apr;43(4):400-3
Handb Exp Pharmacol. 2007;(177):129-43

The aura  usually
1-visual flashes , zigzag, spots
2- Paresthesia (spontaneus unpleasant skin sensation) occures with the visual things
3- Motor (weakness of the hand/arm) usually with the sensory symptomes

All the above last ~ 20-30min ..max 60 min if they go longer then they are not auras by definition then the headache follows in 1-60 min

As you see these are different than your case?

Bob
Thank you for your opinion and advice concerning my case.  I have printed out your response and will give it to my doctor on my next visit.  I greatly appriciate everything.  I am so tired of being a guinee pig for unnessesary tests, prosedures and medications.  Once again, I thank you.