Neurology Expert Forum
Aura

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Aura

I have recently been diagnosed with migraines with aura and graves disease.  My question is I do not always have migraines with the aura.  I am getting the aura, colored, squiggly lines, sometimes prism looking, my vision goes dark, I have a hard time seeing.  These episodes last sometimes between 30-40 minutes and other times just about 15 minutes.  Many times I have no headache at all after the aura is over. Is this the "norm" with people who have these episodes?  Thank you.
Avatar n tn
It is not uncommon to have an aura without the headache. However, if this is happening the majority of the time, I would want to make sure that the migraine diagnosis is correct. If you have not had a MRI of the brain, it would be reasonable to exclude other conditions. Good luck.