Neurology Expert Forum
Autism/Cerebral Palsy/Perseveration/Stimming

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

My 18 mo old daughter is walking (with horrible balance and on her toes) & babbling (aaaaaahh & yayayaya mostly) no words yet. She shows affection to my husband & I & doesn't like to be seperated from us. She has an appt with a neuro in July. She has strabismus & had surgery when she was 10 mo old & wears glasses for farsightedness. She was born 2 weeks late & I was induced. She got stuck during birth & had to be put on oxygen after birth. Her apgar was 3. We are worried about brain damage. She doesn't point or understand a lot of words besides no. She doesn't know what items are.She never had a fav toy or blanket she doesn't pretend play or have purposeful play. She will grab my hand & drag me to the door to go outside. She can climb up steps and go down while holding my hand. She doesn't like children much (she ignores them unless they have a toy she wants then she tries to take it & throw it on the floor) She picks toys up to throw on the floor. When she finishes her sippy cup she throws it on the floor always. She laughs & smiles all the time when she sees us & wants to be picked up. She walks back & forth (she starts at one position & goes across the room then turns around & goes back to the starting point & she does this over & over with no purpose that I can see.) She doesn't do it to avoid anything or because she is upset. She  bangs her head sometimes again not because she is upset or avoiding anything. It's like accidental the first time & then she stops & does it over & over. She also will say aaaaaahhh very drawn out & her OT said we should copy her sounds to show her that her sounds are good. So we copy what she says & she will do it over & over to make us copy her but if we try to change it to yayayaya which she can also say she continues with the aaaaaaahh. Is any of this considered perseveration or stimming? Does she sound autistic? Her OT also has suggested mild cerebral palsy and Sensory Processing Disorder.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

I agree, you should have your child evaluated by a neurologist, especially given the history of hypoxia at birth, which is a well-known cause of cerebral palsy. The term cerebral palsy is difficult in that it is not descriptive for any one type of condition. There are different types of cerebral palsy syndromes which includes descriptions such as spastic, dyskinetic, and ataxic. They may not present until later in life.

This diagnosis of cerebral palsy would be difficult to make in writing. Again, I highly recommend that you follow up with a pediatric neurologist and have your child assessed for cerebral palsy and possible other etiologies for the developmental delay.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.