Neurology Expert Forum
Autoimmune Response To Antibiotics
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Autoimmune Response To Antibiotics

: : Dear CCF,
  : : Although my doctors ran an immunology panel for my polysensory neuropathy and it came back normal, I was wondering if there are specfic antibody tests other than the Hu Antibody test to see if some antibiotics I had taken created an autoimmune response.  I heard Mayo Clinic was the only place that ran these specific types of more sensitive antibody tests?  If one has an autoimmune response to antibitocs and develops neuropathy as a result is
  : :  there treatement for this?  Does it run it's course, or is it forever?  Initially I had burning pain but now seem to have more numbness and sensations of skin hurting everywhere?  I'm greatful for any information you may provide.
  : ==================
  : Dear Karla,
  : Anti Hu antibody is a specific antibody found in patients with
  : subacute (this means weeks to months duration) sensory neuropathy.
  : It has a very strong association with cancer, most commonly of the lung
  : although cases of breast, ovary, and kidney cancer have been reported.
  : Mayo clinic and Sloan Kettering NY, among other places, are the two
  : most active institutions studying this entity.
  : Unfortunately, no specific antibody has been developed in cases
  : of neuropathy against antibiotics. However, there are a variety of other
  : antibodies for neuropathies depending on the symptoms (motor vs. sensory),
  : these include Anti MAG, Anti GM1, Anti Sulfatyl, etc.
  : Good luck  and I hope the information is helpful.
  Thank you.  If I have a sensory neuropathy what does the Anti Mag , Anti GM1 and Anti Sulfatyl reveal as a cause of neuropathy, and if one of these tests comes back positive is there treatment?  I was also tested for Sjorgens and wondered what that was? and what kind of symptoms you;d have? Thanks.  I had an Anti Hu come back negative already!