Neurology Expert Forum
Autoimmune Response To Antibiotics

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Autoimmune Response To Antibiotics

: : Dear CCF,
  : : Although my doctors ran an immunology panel for my polysensory neuropathy and it came back normal, I was wondering if there are specfic antibody tests other than the Hu Antibody test to see if some antibiotics I had taken created an autoimmune response.  I heard Mayo Clinic was the only place that ran these specific types of more sensitive antibody tests?  If one has an autoimmune response to antibitocs and develops neuropathy as a result is
  : :  there treatement for this?  Does it run it's course, or is it forever?  Initially I had burning pain but now seem to have more numbness and sensations of skin hurting everywhere?  I'm greatful for any information you may provide.
  : ==================
  : Dear Karla,
  : Anti Hu antibody is a specific antibody found in patients with
  : subacute (this means weeks to months duration) sensory neuropathy.
  : It has a very strong association with cancer, most commonly of the lung
  : although cases of breast, ovary, and kidney cancer have been reported.
  : Mayo clinic and Sloan Kettering NY, among other places, are the two
  : most active institutions studying this entity.
  : Unfortunately, no specific antibody has been developed in cases
  : of neuropathy against antibiotics. However, there are a variety of other
  : antibodies for neuropathies depending on the symptoms (motor vs. sensory),
  : these include Anti MAG, Anti GM1, Anti Sulfatyl, etc.
  : Good luck  and I hope the information is helpful.
  Thank you.  If I have a sensory neuropathy what does the Anti Mag , Anti GM1 and Anti Sulfatyl reveal as a cause of neuropathy, and if one of these tests comes back positive is there treatment?  I was also tested for Sjorgens and wondered what that was? and what kind of symptoms you;d have? Thanks.  I had an Anti Hu come back negative already!

_
These antibodies are just markers for a nerve disorder caused by reactivity of the immune system to either a part of the nerve or to the nerve's coating (the myelin).  Often, the direct cause of the neuropathy is unknown - Anti-MAG itself is thought to be an antibody which affects the neve's coating.  The others are less directly implicated.  The most important thing to realise is that testing for these antibodies is not indicated in all types of neuropathy - Anti-MAG neuropathy is a sensory neuropathy that  shows on EMG evidence that the nerve's coating has been affected. Anti-GM1 conversely is a nerve disorder of motor (not sensory) fibers.   Another thing to realise is that even all together these constitute quite a small percentage of total neuropathies.
Sjogren's disease is an autimmune disorder affecting the salivary and lacrimal glands producing dry mouth and dry eyes.  An uncommon disorder in itself,  10% of patients with Sjogren's have a peripheral neuropathy causing numbness, pain or tingling in the feet.  Less commonly, it can affect sensation in the face (involving the Trigemminal nerve or present as a more agressive neuropathy).  If suspected, there are antibodies that can be sent in the blood that along with a good history can help diagnose Sjogren's. The ultimate diagnosis is with a biopsy of the lip to check the salivary glands there.