Neurology Community
Awful Nerve Pain Help Me Please

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Awful Nerve Pain Help Me Please

Was in a carwreck at age 21 i am 48 now in a whheelchair from the wreck .I have several diffrent pains the most worse one is the nerve damage  goes from left hip ,lower back ,down leg into calf to the foot its so bad i can't hardley sit it makes it increase long as i am sitting then it starts drawing with it . I even hurt when i lay but not as bad .It hurts to move my arm to pick up a cup etc... i feel it in lower back down legs it burns,stings , draws, feels like somone has there fist pushing in my back on that side . It got me to where i can not go know where don't know how long i can sit . I need to know who else goes through this and what they take and what makes it better . I started Lyrica 10 days ago but started out slow i split a 50 mg and i post to take 3 a day .I tryed it like a year ago i wanted to sleep all time plus i felt loopy so i quit but i thought maybe i didn't take it long enough to get use to it anyone else take it and how did it effect you plus how long till u got use to it? I need some help i have a hubby and 2 daughters they need me . I also have several other pain i take 80 mg oxycontin a day been taking it for like 8 years . I had a bad disk and had surgery and started having this pain a doctor sayed my spinal canal was getting small wonder if the nerves are in there and are getting squezzed ? I already had neve damage deom wreck but was not pain like this . I can feel my legs it only cut spine cord half into but feeling are hyper sinistive think i spelled that wrong . Please excuse mistakes i am tired and am laying writting this . I wish i knew more about this nerve pain . I can not stand for left side to be touched . Any help i woyld be thankful .
I take Lyrica and a codeine mixture for intense back pain from an old car wreck, just like you.  The sleepy and loopy thing with the Lyrica goes away after a couple weeks.  Also, the doc has to increase your initial prescribed dose about threefold the first few months, until you reach a comfort plateau.  So, just go ahead and take as prescribed, to the letter, and when the pain begins to return in a few weeks, go back to your doc, and he'll up the dose, until finally you have pretty good pain control all day.  

But I really do think the doc needs to order a new scan of your spine, especially where they did the operation on that disc.  Usually after surgery, pain will persist for a few months, due to swelling and so forth, but if you're a long ways out from the procedure, that's how come I say they should look at your spine again, could be you do have a trapped nerve, as you suggested, or any number of things.

It might help for you to have a little back brace, to help support your spine even when you're sitting (altho not laying down), and that way your pain levels won't come up on you so quickly.  And it is possible physical therapy could teach you a few spine exercises to help strengthen the muscles that support the back, a similar solution to the back brace.  I had a friend who had sciatica, which sounds like your type pain, and he did some sort of exercises that eventually made his pain go away.  Bring a pillow around with you to sit on, and when you lay down, keep your legs bent when you can, either with pillows or just naturally.

Hon, I know what you mean about wanting to keep up with duties as relates to your husband and children.  I am in the same boat, minus children but I have two dogs.  Anyhow, I finally started delegating some of my tasks to my husand, I've taught him how to do the bills, he feeds the dogs in the evenings, he goes to the store sometimes, that kind of thing.  We had to rearrange our budget and hired a lawn man to do our yard, and it's just a matter of time before I'll need to hire someone to come in the house a couple times a month to get groceries, clean the baths, vacuum, cook a big stew.  You're in your 40s now, I'm in my 50s, and because of our accidents, we're wearing out quicker than an average person, so I think it's okay to ask for help.