Neurology Expert Forum
Back Pain, L-5 disk dislocated?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Back Pain, L-5 disk dislocated?

My husband has been suffering from severe back pain. He is now seeing a chiropractor. The chiropractor took xrays which revealed the L-5 disk has become rotated to the right side by about 90 degrees. Treatment has consisted of ultrasound waves, electrical sound waves and spinal manipulation. Originally the pain was on both sides of the lower back and radiated to the hip and intermittenly down the leg. Since the adjustments, the pain and pressure has been almost entirely relieved on the left side, however he is still in quite a lot of intense pain on the right side from his lower back, down into the the right calf.

Is it at all possible that a chiropractor can manipulate this disk into the correct position and away from the nerve, or are we spinning our wheels? We are naturally trying to avoid surgery. At home, we are applying analgesic creams and massage, but we realize that the disk will have to be put back in place. What is the BEST treatment? Can this fully recover? From the xray, we are told that the disk is not ruptured but is twisted in the wrong direction. I would very much like to know all of our options. Also what can I do to help him. ANY info would be appreciated.
Teresa
Dear Teresa:

Sorry to hear about your husband.  X-rays are good for looking at boney structures like the vertebrae but are not as good looking at soft tissue structures and discs.  A disc that is rotated 90 degrees is almost impossible given the bilateral nature of the initial pain that your husband suffered.  I would suggest that your husband see a neurologist and get a good neurological exam and MRI of the lower back.  Chiropractor do a great job but I think some further investigation is needed here.  You need to know the extent of the disc herniation and if it is compromising the spinal tract.  In addition, some other types of therapy are likely needed in the form of PT and rehab, together with the Chiropractor manipulations.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
I agree with the Dr. I do not feel the disc could rotate 90 degrees in that it is well attached to the vertebre and almost impossible to move on it's own without the bone moving, hench the reason behind the chiropractic manipulation. Maybe there was a communication problem and the Dr. said his spine/vertebre was rotated?

BEST is Bio Energy Synchronization Technique, a system used to remove the cause behind muscle spasm and therefore allowing the vertebre to return to it's natural postion relieving nerve irritation.

How long has your husband been in treatment?
Dear Chiro Doc,
Thank you for your reply. Sorry, I had made a bit of a mistake in my interpretation. The L-5 vertabrae is twisted appr. 20 degrees to the right side. (I'm sorry, I know I said 90). It is my husband's understanding that the vertabrae is twisted, we are uncertain of the disc itself. We are told that the disc is "thinner" between the L-4 and L-5. The pain shoots down from  his hip all the way down the right leg. It makes it uncomfortable to even sit. He has noted that when he is upset or worried that the pain intensifies. So we know that muscular tension has some sort of play.
We are very interested in the BEST treatment. Is this treatmeny common to all chiropractors? Could you tell us  a little more about how this works?
Thank you so much,
Teresa
Theresa,
The BEST technique is not common to all chiropractors and must be learned in post graduate classes. You can call Morter Health at 1-800-874-1478 to locate a Dr. near you that is certfied in BEST and to learn more. The web address is www.morterhealthsystem.com Good luck!
A related discussion, back pain lower back was started.
A related discussion, pain in my left side of body,from headaches to my toes was started.