Neurology Community
Back Pain after Spinal Tap

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Back Pain after Spinal Tap

About 2 1/2 months ago I had a Spinal Tap. I was having a severe/dehibilitating headache. I could move without getting dizzy, sick and nearly passing out. The spinal tap was clean (and at the time didnt have the back pain). The headache went away but came back a few hours later. They then did a Blood patch thinking I was having a 'spinal headache' which numbed the pain for awhile but again the pain came back at an unbearable level. After a week long stay(and several CT scans, MRI's) at the hospital with no clear answer as to why I had this pain; i began having bad back pain, and also pain running down my left leg. I used to lay on my stomach a lot especially to sleep now I cannot do this. The pain is almost unbearable to the point I feel like my spine (lower) is going to snap. Laying on my back doesnt help. I have tried heat, ice, theragesic/Icy hot, pillows; nothing helps to relieve the pain.This pain also runs down my left leg from my hip all the way down to my ankle. Ive tried every over the counter pain killer there is nothing helps. Is this pain going to go away on it's own or has something possibly gone wrong? I spent half of my work week training horses and I cant train them as sometimes i can sit up straight from the pain. If there's anything I can do to resolve this.
What has happened to you is a fairly unusual complication of a spinal tap.  You can get this bad lumbar back pain that goes down into your leg.  For some reason whatever the problem is, like a hematoma, it didn't show up on the scans, BUT if you will seek a second opinion, and either that neurologist can use the original scans or order his own studies, he can hopefully find what has specifically gone on, possibly fix it, but at least treat it and give you a diagnosis and prognosis.  You must get a second opinion. and I hope you can find a doc who has lots of experience with lumbar taps gone wrong, so he won't have such a big problem recognizing what happened, which apparently your hospital docs don't have a clue.

Now, you must also have good pain control.  I know exactly what it feels like to have a goofed-up lumbar spine, as I have one, it's part of a car accident thing that tore up my whole spine, and I got some sort of lumbar facet joint degeneration, and I cannot stand up longer than five minutes without it absolutely killing me.  Right now as I sit here, becuz I slept funny, it's been three straight hours of nonstop pain.  I've taken extra medicine, I've got a pillow back there, and it just won't quit.  So, hopefully your second opinion doc can offer medicines that will allow you to do the specialized work with horses that you do.  I take Codeine and Lyrica, but apparently that is no longer enough, and I've been asking my neuro to give me something stronger but he is just so dang hesitant.  SIGH.  

In the meantime, you could get an elastic velcro "back brace" from the drug store, it wraps around the waist and has stays in it, SORT of allows you to stand up to the pain a little longer.  Also, if you lay on your back, your knees should be bent.  But I know, it's like hardly anything helps.  But something is putting pressure on where they put that needle in, or it could have nicked a nerve, WHO KNOWS!