Neurology Community
Back Problems & Muscle twitches.

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Back Problems & Muscle twitches.

I am not sure where i should post this. But im trying to get some feedback on my problems.. In 08 i was having headaches. I went for a MRI found out that i had a C5-6 herniation. So i had a ACDF surgery for that. Then they did a brain MRI and found lesions on my brain with demyelination. So i had a spinal tap and they found one obligonical band in my spinal fluid. Now ive had a back MRI and heres what they found..
T6-T7 large right paracentral disk herniation with cord mass effect.
T8-T9 ventral extradural mass effect upon the midline spinal cord.
T11-T12 disk buldging and mild degenerative disk disease and mild broad-based disk buldging.
L4-L5 Degenerative disk disease.
I am wondering if all this can cause my legs to have muscle twitches all the time and it gets to where i cant hardly walk somedays.. I am getting to where i hurt so bad i dont know how i can keep going. And the NS said he would have to go through my chest to fix it and that he probably wouldnt even be doing it. So what am i supposed to do the rest of my life. I am 36 and feel like im 90....
Thank you all for reading my post.
I understand your plight. I just had ACDF surgery, but I also have enough spinal cord compression in my Thoracic to cause Myelopathy but my neck caused that first. What it sounds like you have is very serious and can cause permanent damage and probably will progress at some point to needing a walker, wheelchair or cane. Thoracic surgeries are very  tricky and would require a very skilled surgeon who has done alot of these and can tell you his/her success rate.

I still have muscle twitching, spasms and cramping. I also get achy arms, dizziness and a kazillion other things. My weakness now is located at knee level and below. I had the symptoms for 5.5 months and have to wait 6-12 months to see if the decompression surgery worked and if my symptoms/damage is permanent. The longer you delay surgery the greater the liklihood of not getting it all back.Let me know how you do.
So you ended up having the thorasic surgery?
I have lots of spinal problems too, both thoracic and lumbar.  While your spinal cord involvement at T-8 and 9 could be affecting your legs, it is also possible that the disc disease in the lumbar spine is what's causing your legs to twitch.  That's how come mine twitch and hurt.  I take two medicines to keep that straight, altho I'm still kind of stiff, but anyway could be drugs might help you out.  Also, could be they can at least repair the lumbar spine for you, to see if that helps your legs any.
No, my Myelopathy (neuro) symptoms were diagnosed to be from my cervical spine spinal cord compression .Thats why I had surgery there. I have enough Thoracic spinal cord compression to cause alot of similar problems but it was determined to be from my neck. Thoracic would not cause the multitude of symptoms I am having. Ie. Dizziness is from the neck. Generally, spinal cord compression symptoms are going to cause neuro symptoms below the level of compression. I don't know about the Lumbar region causing twitches. You do not have a spinal cord at L4-5 so even though the symptoms are similar a skilled Neurosurgeon or Orthpedic Spinal Specialist would have to figure that out based on your MRI and your symptoms.

I do have an excellant surgeon in NYC God forbid I do need Thoracic surgery. I would not do the surgery unless I developed Myelpathy from the spinal cord compression. Myelopathy is usually progressive and debilitating.Ie.-you can be paralysed from it.Rarely are you paralysed from Lumbar problems due to the lack of spinal cord past the L1 level.
Just an FYI, on the lumbar spine nerves, they are a collection of nerves that go out from the lumbar spine and down the legs, and if they are damaged and misfire, it can cause some leg muscles to contract irregularly, among other symptoms like numbness.  Here is a link to a picture of those nerves:

http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/physician-resources/patient-education-materials/atlas-of-human-body/nervous-system-groups_print.html
Yes, there are tons of nerves in the Lumbar region that look like a pony tail. Cauda Equina Syndrome  is considered an emergency. Susanm 73 has a multitude of things going on in her Thoracic region and only a skilled specialist can tell her what her syymtoms are coming from based on her MRI.