Neurology Expert Forum
Back and leg pains

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Back and leg pains

I have been having severe lower back problems.  If I sit too long it hurts to stand so I remain standing and I can't bend down or it hurts to stand. The pain is now going to my right leg, hip and I am limping when I walk because it hurts. In addition I have the occasional chest pain. I don't know what type of doctor to see.  I can't stand or sit too long and i'm tired of taking pain killers because they are starting to make me sick and don't work anymore.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with your doctor.
Without obtaining a detailed history and neurologic examination, I cannot tell you what the cause of your symptoms is. I will provide some information that I hope will be useful.
Back pain can be caused by multiple conditions, including degenerative changes in the spine, osteoporosis with fractures, nerve compression, root compression, or other conditions affecting directly the spine. The difference is based on history and examination. If the pain radiates to the lower extremity, specially if in the appropriate distribution, this could be a radiculopathy, or something like a "sciatica". It is important to determine if this is associated with neurologic deficits like sensory disturbance, weakness or loss of reflexes in order to determine what is the condition, and what treatment is required. With this, some maneuvers may elicit the pain, like stretching the leg and maneuvers to stretch the "nerves".
Patients with spinal stenosis experience pain in the low back, and pain in the lower extremities, with "pseudoclaudication", they get tired with walking, and certain positions may worsen or may improve the symptoms. An MRI of the spine will be helpful for this.
Other conditions, as I said, can produce back and lower extremity pain.
I think it is important that you seek medical attention to determine what is the cause of your symptoms, to treat them accordingly. I think that seeing a neurologist will be very helpful.
Regarding the chest pain, I do not think this is related to your lower extremity and back pain. I think you should discuss this with your primary physician as soon as possible, as chest pain may be the manifestation of something serious, like a heart condition.
As I said, I cannot tell you what the cause of your symptoms is without obtaining a detailed history and examining you, but I hope this information is useful.

you need to see a neruologist, our a neruo surgeon , sounds like what I am going through. Try all other non-surgcial aproaches before surgery. You can be dead, disabled,etc.. from surgery. Look at different web sites, chat rooms, there are plenty of people that are willing to talk and help u through this!  Johnston941@verizon