Neurology Community
Back surgery with foot drop

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Back surgery with foot drop

I had back surgery and had a laminotomy. After the surgery I lost the ability to totally lift my right foot causing drop foot. The foot doctor told me I have lost the control of the nerve that lifts my foot. It has been over a year since the surgery and still not regained it. My question is, "what do I do for this condition?" I am losing the muscle in my calf and thigh and it is very painful and I get cramps at night if I try to tighten the leg muscles on the right leg. Should I try exercise? What kinds or should I be seeing a doctor and waht kind of doctor to see if something can be done to gain back the use of that nerve? Any help or direction would be appreciated.