Neurology Expert Forum
Basilar artery stenosis
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Basilar artery stenosis

Re: Basilar artery stenosis

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Neurology and Neurosurgery Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by CCF Neuro MD *!* on November 11, 1997 at 14:48:33:

In Reply to: Basilar artery stenosis posted by Michael Green M.D. on November 09, 1997 at 23:39:12:

: I am an Emergency Physician and my father was just diagnosed with a pretty impressive lesion in the middle of his basilar artery.
  He also hab a small occipital infarct which has left him with a partial L hemianopsia.  He became weak and confused with L leg weakness which
  prompted an MRI and then MRA. Those symptoms resolved and he was anticoagulated due to this lesion.  On coumadin he continued to be
  symptomatic and had a TIA in front of my face.  He saw a neurovascular surgeon and is scheduled for an arteriogram of the ant. and post. circulation
  tomorrow. (11/10) I understand the possible consequences of the lesion which, as far as they can tell from the MRA, is isolated.
  I know that treatment options are not that good and carry a high complicationrate.  I am just searching for contact information for
  the foremost expert in the field.  Either someone who has experience with bypass or plasty of the vessel, or any other alternatives.  
  By the time you get this and answer it, I'm sure we will have had to make our decisions.  If there is any way for a faster response, it would be MUCH
  appreciated.  It is a hard decision to ponder as he has no deficits at this time, only intermittent nausea and some malaise.  He is on heparin though,
  which he cannot ba on forever.  Than you in advance for your quick response.

Sincerely,

Michael Green,M.D.
===============================================================================
Thank you for your question on this very difficult family and professional dillema, I am unclear as to the exact nature of the lesion in your father