Neurology Expert Forum
Behcet's Disease and neuropathy
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Behcet's Disease and neuropathy

Re: Behcet's Disease and neuropathy

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Neurology Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ccf neuro M.D. on June 01, 1997 at 16:50:02:

In Reply to: Behcet's Disease and neuropathy posted by Judy Ford on May 27, 1997 at 18:10:12:

: Last year, I was given an additional diagnosis of brain stem syndrome with the BD. Lately, I have been having severe pains in groin and on top of both thighs.Numbness is also a part of this rather than severe pain. Currently, I also have been having scalp numbness and pain in just combing my hair. I already will see another neurologist next month. However, I am really not sure if I should wait.???? Can peripheral neuropathy be a part of Behcet's? Thank you.
===================================================================================================
In reviewing the medical literature over the past 30 years, I encountered several reported instances of peripheral nervous system manifestations of Behcet's disease; most were in the form of a syndrome called mononeuritis multiplex, in which several peripheral nerves are attacked, producing both weakness and sensory disturbances in a pattern attributable to each of the affected nerves. I would consider your new symptoms as evidence of relapse of your disease until and if another cause to explain the symptoms acn be found. I would get to your neurologist ASAP for diagnosis and prompt treatment rather than wait around indefinitely to see how much worse things get. You may wish to contact the American Behcet's Disease Association at P.O. Box 27494 Tempe, AZ 85285--- contact person: Robert Smith for patient education publications on this disease. I will ask Medhelp to post one such pamphlet to your question (I was not able to download it successfully---Sorry!!!). The apparent mechanism of peripheral nerve injury is by inflammation and injury to the small BLOOD VESSELS that give blood supply to the nerves, a process known as VASCULITIS. Luckily, generally speaking, peripheral nerves have a good potential for recovery, but this is not always guaranteed. Information provided in the neurology forum is intended for general medical informational purposes only; actual diagnosis and treatment of your specific medical condition should be strictly in conjunction with your treating physician(s). If youare intersted in a second opinion on your case at the Cleveland Clinic, our appointment number is 1-800-223-2273; extension 45559. Any of our staff neurologists should be able to help clarify your particular situation.