Neurology Community
Belles Palsy and Heart Murmur
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Belles Palsy and Heart Murmur

Im a 17 year old female, and I'm on vacation in Florida. While I am down here I lost the movement in the left side of my face. 48 hours later we went to the hospital because it wasn't getting better. They diagnosed me with Belles Palsy. The doctor was very nice, but he kept saying its due to a virus and thats it. He didn't do any other tests. But when he was listening to my heart, he found that I have a heart murmur. All the doctors I have had over the years or various reasons have never noticed a heart murmur before. They started me on Anti-boditics and steroids to try and get the belles palsy to go away. But I'm just wondering if a virus is really causing this, I have never had herpes, or have been even been close to sick in the past 6 months. I just wanted to know your guys opinions or advice. I want this to go away asap I have prom in a month :(
Thanks!
Jenni
Related Discussions
1093617_tn?1279305602
Thank you for your question. Although without being able to examine you I can not offer you the specific advice on diagnosis and treatment that you need, but I would try to provide you some relevant information about your health concern.

Any unexplained one sided muscle weakness or paralysis of the face is called Bell’s palsy (inflammation of 7th cranial nerve). Mostly it occurs after some viral infection, any neurological disorder, and head injury or in cancer but not due to heart murmur. Other symptoms could be pain in jaw of the affected side, drooling of saliva, dropping of eyelid, ringing in the ear, headache, decreased sense of taste, difficulty with speech, and problems eating and drinking. Though it is not a life threatening condition, it is essential that a neurologist needs to be immediately consulted who would like to conduct electromyography (EMG test), nerve conduction studies and MRI to find out the extent and cause.  Most of the doctors suggest steroids, anti-retroviral medicines, botulism injection and physiotherapy to recover from the condition. Hope this helps.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Neurology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank