Neurology Community
Bell's Palsy Blindness!
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Bell's Palsy Blindness!

after being punched in the face I developed Bell's Palsy and blindness in one eye.  I had blurry and grey vision and think it's from the eye muscle being paralyzed.  I'm scared of going blind because I've seen videos on youtube of people not fully recovering after 2 years and not being able to smile.
I went on prednisone 40mg tapered and acyclovir and it is helping some, but I'm still not back to normal.  I can at least shut my eye and it's not burning

is there often brain damage or memory problems with BP since the cranial nerve is in your brain?

This discussion is related to Bell's Palsy for 7 months.
7 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Though the facial nerve is a cranial nerve, damage usually takes place peripherally, thats when it is referred to as bell's palsy. This can cause inadequate closure of the eyelids and consequent exposure keratitis. Why was acyclovir given? It is usually given for a viral infection. As you are recovering, I would advise you to continue with your medications and physical therapy.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Blank
I felt pain all the way in my ear canal and back of my head so there was at least some inflammation
Blank
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Due to the pain present, your doctors would have suspected Shingles, also known as Herpes Zoster or Zoster. This is treated with acyclovir. Bells palsy can cause inadequate closure of the eyelid and consequent exposure keratitis. As you have recovered this function, the others too should resolve. Continue with your physical therapy.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Blank
my face is still paralyzed and my eye doesn't close.  I think the eye muscle was paralyzed when it went blind or grey for a few seconds- will this happen again??
I'm worried since the 7th cranial nerve runs into the brain and it might be inflamed/damaged
Blank
my face didn't heal correctly, my smile is bizarre and it's about 2 months so I guess I'm disfigured for life
Blank
is there any chance acupuncture could help?  I sometimes see bright flashers in my vision, but at least my one eye isn't blind
Blank
BP is terrible, I keep thinking about my disfigurement because my mouth doesn't feel right and my tongue is numb
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Neurology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...