Bell's Palsy Blindness!
after being punched in the face I developed Bell's Palsy and blindness in one eye.  I had blurry and grey vision and think it's from the eye muscle being paralyzed.  I'm scared of going blind because I've seen videos on youtube of people not fully recovering after 2 years and not being able to smile.
I went on prednisone 40mg tapered and acyclovir and it is helping some, but I'm still not back to normal.  I can at least shut my eye and it's not burning

is there often brain damage or memory problems with BP since the cranial nerve is in your brain?

This discussion is related to Bell's Palsy for 7 months.
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Though the facial nerve is a cranial nerve, damage usually takes place peripherally, thats when it is referred to as bell's palsy. This can cause inadequate closure of the eyelids and consequent exposure keratitis. Why was acyclovir given? It is usually given for a viral infection. As you are recovering, I would advise you to continue with your medications and physical therapy.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
I felt pain all the way in my ear canal and back of my head so there was at least some inflammation
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Due to the pain present, your doctors would have suspected Shingles, also known as Herpes Zoster or Zoster. This is treated with acyclovir. Bells palsy can cause inadequate closure of the eyelid and consequent exposure keratitis. As you have recovered this function, the others too should resolve. Continue with your physical therapy.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
my face is still paralyzed and my eye doesn't close.  I think the eye muscle was paralyzed when it went blind or grey for a few seconds- will this happen again??
I'm worried since the 7th cranial nerve runs into the brain and it might be inflamed/damaged
my face didn't heal correctly, my smile is bizarre and it's about 2 months so I guess I'm disfigured for life
is there any chance acupuncture could help?  I sometimes see bright flashers in my vision, but at least my one eye isn't blind
BP is terrible, I keep thinking about my disfigurement because my mouth doesn't feel right and my tongue is numb
See a sleep center. Recurrent "Bells Palsy," memory problems, insomnia symptoms, and twitchy feelings in muscles are actually very characteristic of narcolepsy with cataplexy. In fact, often times, it's not "Bells Palsy," but cataplexy. Viruses and some vaccines (namely the H1N1) can actually precipitate this, but it can happen seemingly in random fashion, too.

It doesn't look the way you think it looks. Common misdiagnoses are depression, epilepsy, and migraines. I struggled for years to find an answer, and was misdiagnosed several times. I had it with just sleepiness during the day and what looked like insomnia at night for probably about 15-20 years before I ended up with more serious symptoms of narcolepsy that actually included cataplexy (random muscle weakness that can either be isolated, or widespread). Onset is typically in teenage or early adult years but it can come later, and earlier, too.

The cataplexy manifested first in my face, as what looked like episodes of Bells Palsy that came and went when I was tired, stressed, or even when I was happy and smiling.  But when I paid closer attention I realized I got weakness and twitching (not uncommon) in my other muscles sometimes too, though I chalked it up to clumsiness until I paid attention. I also had issues with my vision randomly and sleepiness.

I went undiagnosed for about 15-20 years, until I finally saw a sleep specialist and she nailed the diagnosis right away. The vast majority of doctors have absolutely no idea what it is or what it looks like, and no routine lab tests, MRI, CT scan, x-ray or anything of that nature will detect it. 75% of people with narcolepsy never get diagnosed in their lifetime.

I was tested for epilepsy, migraines, MS, all kinds of things. But nope, it turned out to be narcolepsy!!

Get seen by a sleep center!