Neurology Community
Bells Palsy

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Bells Palsy

I am a 32/f and I've had Bells Palsy 3 times in my life.. I was wondering if there was any link to HPV? Is bells palsy even considered a virus?  I do however want to let everyone know that the last time I had bells palsy was last summer, I started feeling a wierd sensation in my upper lip on the right side. I immediately went to the doctor and they put me on steriods and it did not stop the process it just slowed down the intial outcome. Not only was I scared but it was really painful, when I lost complete function of the right side of my face I called the nuerologist. Then a friend of mine told me to try hot peppers... I hate spicy food but at that point I was willing to try anything. I took a habenero pepper and rubbed it on the right side of my tounge, I could not feel or taste a thing. That night my face started twitching, the next morning I did the hot pepper thing again, and finally started getting some movement back in my face. It's almost like it shocked my nerves back into action.... ANYONE WHO GETS BELLS PALSY PLEASE TRY USING THE HOTTEST PEPPER YOU CAN FIND!!!!!! It worked for me.....
just contracted Bell's after getting a flu shot on Wednesday, I'm going to try the hot pepper thing right now, I'll let you know if it works...
If any of you have Bells Palsy after a flu shot, or a virus, you should be evaluated. Flu shots and viruses have been known to cause what looks like Bells Palsy, but is actually a manifestation of cataplexy (random muscle weakness or paralysis which can be widespread or isolated) which happens in narcolepsy, which flu shots and viruses have been known to cause. Most recently, the H1N1 vaccine caused a swath of narcolepsy cases. 75% of people with narcolepsy never, ever get diagnosed in their lifetime.

I found out I had narcolepsy by bringing my weird Bells Palsy to the attention of my doctor, who then referred me to a psychiatrist, who then referred me to a sleep center, who diagnosed me. A lot of weird problems I'd had my whole life suddenly made sense.

It doesn't look how you think it looks. Look it up and find out what it actually looks like and manifests as.