Neurology Community
Bells Palsy

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Bells Palsy

About a year ago I was diagnosed with Bells Palsy and was told that the issue would correct itself in a year or less.  However, I still have some loss of muscular control on the left side of my month and, on occassion, the muscles in my left cheek constrict without cause.  Dont know whether or not there is any relation, but I have continued outbreaks of hives on my back and abdominal areas.
Bell's palsy is a condition where in facial nerve is affected. If there was a mild strecthing of the nerve the symptoms would have been for a short peroid and recovery would have been expected in 6-8 weeks time. As it has taken a long time and your more concerned about the problem, it is advisable that you can undergo certain reconstructive procedures which could help you out in correcting the deformities to a lot extent. Apart from this you can try out botox injections for the opposite side which could give a relief on temporary basis. Kindly do consult a plastic surgeon for further advice.
Bell's palsy is most common form of facial palsy. I wanted to know, when you were diagnosed with Bell's palsy, were you put on any steroid therapy.
If you persist to have some loss of muscle control, then you can probably get an electromyography done to distinguish between temporary conduction defects from a pathologic condition.
The prognosis is excellent with 85% of cases recover spontaneously with no residual facial weakness; another 10% have mild facial weakness as a sequel; only 5% are left with permanent severe facial weakness.
I am a sufferer of Belles Palsy. It is related to herpes zoster-same family as chicken pox. It is mostly a temporary-few weeks to a year recovery. However, NOT all recover from this, I woke up one AM and tongue was tingling on rt back.. I brushed my teeth and noticed I was started to go numb-through my tongue and jaw(rt side). droopsy now I was. I literally thought was having stroke except was not getting numb down that side. Then a couple of weeks/mths later I had a sudden loss of ALL hearing on right side also. ALL of this they said was related to shingles(chicken pox that become active after all these years. Chicken Pox is always still in your body just lying dormant! My face after almost 4 years is still droops, I have had an cochlear implant put in, etc. All I can say is that I live one day at a time!
I have Bell's and my eye was going blind and I had paralysis, problems speaking and memory damage.  does it really get better?
I read it only improves in 71% of cases and I went on prednisone for 5 days but didn't have any improvement
is the brain or nerve permanently damaged due to BP?
the 7th cranial nerve in BP goes back into the brain and I was having pain in that area