Neurology Community
Bifid Rib: Is there any treatment?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Bifid Rib: Is there any treatment?

Hello, I have a fairly large defect on the left side of my chest wall. I went to see my GP and she sent me off to get an X Ray. It was found to be a bifid rib and I was hoping there could be something that could be done to fix it so there wasnt this large bump on my chest wall. I then went to 2 cardiothoracic surgeons to see if anything could be done. Both said that they had never seen the condition before and that they did not know of anything that could be done.

I was just wondering if anyone knows of any surgery that anyone has had to fix it. If anyone else has a bifid rib it would be good to hear from you and get any information you know about it. If you. want to know something about it then ust let me know and I will try and answer it for you

Thanks heaps.
my 5 year old son has been diagnosed with havin a bifid rib but our dr didn't really tel us much or seem overly concerned about this.
However as he's growing it is growing with him & is getting rather large & unsightly, it looks like he is growing a breast!
This concerns me as i really don't know what can be done if anything & what medical problems this may cause as he grows more!
have you found out anymore yet?
thanks
x
What other bifurcated rib online forums and weblinks are worth checking?...
Hi , my 10 year old daughter has a bifid rib . We noticed it forst when she was 3 and it was not diagnosed properly, as she grew it grew and so I went again when she was 6. After several different angles chest x rays they diagnosed it as a bifid rib. They said to wait until she started pubity and then undergo a esthetic operation to remove the problem part of the rib so it doesnt look like she has 3 breasts. I only came across your post as she is now 10 and before we go ahead with planning her surgery I wondered if I could get any info from anyone who has also had this operation.
My daughter will be 7 in November and she was misdiagnosed at age 2 with a tumor, we had to rush her to Arkansas Children's Hospital in Little Rock and they did many xrays and said it was a bifurcated rib. She goes to see her surgeon every 3 years. She has an appt on the 23rd of this month because it is growing faster and starting to cause some pains. They said she would need surgery around age 14-17 to have it fixed, because it would look abnormal and she would be very self conscious later on in life.