Neurology Community
Bifid Rib: Is there any treatment?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Bifid Rib: Is there any treatment?

Hello, I have a fairly large defect on the left side of my chest wall. I went to see my GP and she sent me off to get an X Ray. It was found to be a bifid rib and I was hoping there could be something that could be done to fix it so there wasnt this large bump on my chest wall. I then went to 2 cardiothoracic surgeons to see if anything could be done. Both said that they had never seen the condition before and that they did not know of anything that could be done.

I was just wondering if anyone knows of any surgery that anyone has had to fix it. If anyone else has a bifid rib it would be good to hear from you and get any information you know about it. If you. want to know something about it then ust let me know and I will try and answer it for you

Thanks heaps.
my 5 year old son has been diagnosed with havin a bifid rib but our dr didn't really tel us much or seem overly concerned about this.
However as he's growing it is growing with him & is getting rather large & unsightly, it looks like he is growing a breast!
This concerns me as i really don't know what can be done if anything & what medical problems this may cause as he grows more!
have you found out anymore yet?
thanks
x
What other bifurcated rib online forums and weblinks are worth checking?...
Hi , my 10 year old daughter has a bifid rib . We noticed it forst when she was 3 and it was not diagnosed properly, as she grew it grew and so I went again when she was 6. After several different angles chest x rays they diagnosed it as a bifid rib. They said to wait until she started pubity and then undergo a esthetic operation to remove the problem part of the rib so it doesnt look like she has 3 breasts. I only came across your post as she is now 10 and before we go ahead with planning her surgery I wondered if I could get any info from anyone who has also had this operation.
My daughter will be 7 in November and she was misdiagnosed at age 2 with a tumor, we had to rush her to Arkansas Children's Hospital in Little Rock and they did many xrays and said it was a bifurcated rib. She goes to see her surgeon every 3 years. She has an appt on the 23rd of this month because it is growing faster and starting to cause some pains. They said she would need surgery around age 14-17 to have it fixed, because it would look abnormal and she would be very self conscious later on in life.
I am from Australia,
And I had a Bifid Rib, was diagnosed in 1971, and when I was 13 was operated on, and had an implant put where the deformatiy once was.
I was supposed to go back every year until I was 18 to have another operation done, a bigger implant put in.
It never got done, due to other doctors not knowing anything about it, so gave me a clean bill of health.
I have had two children, and had a hard time carrying them as I got further into my pregnancy due to  to respiratory problems, not sure if it was the result of the operation, and is the implant breaking down?
If I get sick, I have now had 3 bouts of pneumonia, and if I get sick get respiratory problems, but even to this day, doctors do not know a lot about this, and I am still seeking answers at the age of 46.
Just found this so thought I would come on and tell you my story.
I was the first person either in the world or Australia to get this operation done, actually I might of been the second, as I recall the doctor who had operated on me, was speaking to a doctor from the USA, about how to do the operation.
regards
lisa
Hi.

I am a Cardiothoracic Surgeon and have seen a few to date. It does grow with the child and occasionally may result in this unsightly bump. Occasionally, it may be associated with a mild form of Pectus Excavatum. I do suggest removing it before 4 to avoid any psychological issues as the child goes through school and puberty. If the cartilage and portion of rib is removed within the perichondrium and periostium  respectively, there need not be any implants and you will get a good cosmetic result. Any less than ideal lung function may be a function of the Pectus Excavatum but may not improve much with surgery.
My 2 yr old son had an xray done on his chest to determine what a lump was that was located over his heart. His dr. said it was a 5th BIFID rib. What are the concerns or risks for this and should I get a second opinion?Very worried.
How invasive is the surgery if done on a 2yr old? Thanks
I would like to ask you if you can help me with my rib deformity issue.
Im european . My problem is that I have one more abnormal rib, abnormal part of rib ,causing problems,it's fourth rib  on the right side of my chest.
I would just ask you if is it possible to take this one abnormal part out of by body,without regrowing again.
I already was on the surgery in Austria,the doctor corrected my second and third rib on this side of chest by resection of them they were rotated out because of abnormal rib.The doctor already took abnormal part from the rib out of my body and it looked better for a while I was wearing kind of chest bracer for 5 month. but after I took down the chest bracer the abormal rib cartilage and abnormal part of the fourth rib regrowed again. Its small but Im not feeling good again. I contacted you because I was reading about the rib hump and the thoracoplasty.because there are 2 part inside of my chest I still dont like there is a abnormal cartilage close to the sternum its like a rib hump..second part is the abnormal bifid rib connected with this abnormal cartilage.I would like to ask you if you can take it out somehow without regrowing again. I would travel to U.S I already spended lot of money on this and Im not satisfied yet..I have one possbility how to take the abnormal part of the rib out, there is a possibility, one company will model a kind of covering from titan material for the rib to stay it normal..but we still dont know how to erase the cartilage close to the sternum ,because its still regrowing after the surgery.and there can not be any titan close to the sternum,doctors says there is not possible to catch any titan to the sternum..
what kind of implant did they give you do you have any contact for doctors whose operated you?