Neurology Community
Bilateral Brachial Neuritis

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Bilateral Brachial Neuritis

In Jan 07 I developed what I swore was straight up left lateral epicondylitis-CLASSICO. After several weeks of pain, I finally saw an ortho PA and begged for an injection. On his exam, he was struck by the loss of tri reflex as well as wasting of the intrinsic hand muscles and so refused injection. A spinal MRI showed nothing significant, per report. A left sided EMG showed a C7 radicular pattern consistant with a denervation in EDC, Tri,Paraspinals. Since that time the pain has moved into both scapular regions and now right arm as well. The pain is severe, horrific at night, (I'd swear it was metastatic that's how bad it is at night), and causes weakness in both hands ie gripping, squeezing, lifting.I have a constant pins/needles in my left thumb/finger 1. I have muscle fatiguability but it doesnt recover like MG. If I grab the muscles under my arms there is a poorly defined but very painful area. I try heat but can't really figure out where exactly to put it. Well anyway, I think its BN and I have a consult on 6/10/07 with a neurologist-finally. My question to you, have you seen BN associated with thyroiditis? In 9/07 I developed a severe case of subacute thyroiditis and to this date still remain clinically hyperthyroid requiring low dose Tapazole. The thyroiditis was so severe it required three Prednisone tapers/narcotics and several FNA just to drain painful nodules. ESR and all AB tests are neg, as is the autoimmune panel????? I have read that BN follows immunizations/illness/stress but have you ever seen it follow/correalate with thyroiditis? Does BN exhibit a radicular pattern on EMG? Do the s/s/ sound classic to you. Wow, if you could answer even one of those you'd be my hero....What say you ...The BN if thats what it is is maddening, constant, and draining every ounce of my heart and soul as I try to take care of four children.Please-make my day.