Bilateral carotid artery dissection, vertebral dissection, stroke
Almost 3 years ago I had a stroke that was caused by a dissection in my left internal carotid artery.  They also found out that I had dissections in my right carotid artery and right vertebral artery.  I was initially paralyzed on my right side but thankfully have fully recovered my movement on that side.  They put stents in my left carotid artery but left the other two dissections to heal on their own, or even just maintain b/c the amount of blockage in those arteries was not as severe as one in my left carotid.  

Although I have recovered my movement from the stroke, I'm still dealing with chronic migraines.  I also have Horner's Syndrome in my left eye and it gets worse if I don't get enough sleep or am under a lot of stress.  Because of the dissections my doctors have told me that I can't take the normal prescription meds for migraines like Maxalt, etc.  I have two questions - for those who have had migraines after a stroke/dissections, what has helped?  Right now I'm taking narcotics but they are too easy to abuse and I need to find something else that will help.  Secondly, how long did you experience migraines or pain associated with your dissections?  My dissections were spontaneous, caused by an underlying connective tissue disorder so there was no trauma involved.  Thanks for any help you can give!
How are you? Aside from prescription medications such as narcotics, you could also try complementary and alternative medicine such as acupuncture or biofeedback therapy to help provide relief for the pain. The length of pain varies depending on factors such as medical history and diagnosis. Hope this helps.  Take care and best regards.