Neurology Community
Bimanual Synkinesis (mirror hand movements) Kallmann's Syndrome

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

My 17 month old has mirror hand movements.  If he is scratching his ear with left hand his right hand is identical to left hand but scratching in the air.  Left and Right hand do exactly the same thing 24/7.  He also has a very small private area and undescended testicles.  He was born with congenital hydrocephalus, but was shunted at birth and the hydro seems to be the least of his problems.  I have tried to talk to his neurologist/neurosurgeon about his hand movements etc but they keep telling me this is normal in kids.  He had his first Occupational Evaluation and the OT was in complete shock when she saw his hand movements.  She stated that in all of her years as an OT she has never seen a child move their hands like he does.  Any suggestions.  I am having a horrible time trying to get him in to be genetics tested.  Am I blowing this completely out of proportion?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you

NO! You are not blowing it out of proportion.  The kind of mirroring movement you are describing is not normal at any age.  I worked for 10 years as a developmental pediatrician.  You need several things:

Your son needs a complete PEDIATRIC neurological and genetic evaluation.  I also suggest you find a board-certified pediatrician less willing to say "Oh, All kids do that."

Look at your nearest university medical center that has a large pediatric service.  Often they will have an entire hospital dedicated to kids.  Make an appointment with a pediatric neurologist. That's where I would start.  You may have to travel to the evaluation, but it is worth it!

Because your son has what is called "Multiple Congenital Anomalies"  he should have had a complete genetic evaluation at birth.  This is not just running a blood chromosome test, but a "hands on" evaluation by a board-certified geneticist.  This specialty is almost always at the academic medical centers.  I would also make an appointment with them concurrently.  Depending on how far we are looking at you can decide if these visits need to be on the same trip.

You are right to be your child's best advocate.  You may have to be loud and pushy, but you clearly have a better idea of "abnormality" than your child's current doctor.

Good luck, your kiddos are lucky to have you.  Come back and let us know what's happening.  Quix
Thanks for your response.  After all the research I finally found a genetics doctor at Harvard /Dr. William Crowley that is going to take a look at all of Kaden's medical records and followup with genetics testing.  He also stated that bimanual synkinesis is very uncommon.

Thank you
I have this condition, since birth.  I have always if anyone else has experienced it.  I am 52 years old.  It can be quite a nuisance, but you get used to it.  Both my hands do the same thing at the same time.  Even my nuerologist couldn't give me an answer as to what it is.  I was born with spina bifida occulta...but I am normal.  i have no real deficits.
I am an OT working with a child having mirror hand syndrome, and has already been diagnosed.  Do you have any suggestions for things that have worked for you to decrease this abnormality? Thanks
No, you are not blowing this out of proportions ...I am 18 years old now and just recently found out that I have mirrored hand syndrome. I have the same problem with having to move both my hands at the same time, making it difficult to type ,or even write .....I did not know that I had this syndrome,  until i got checked by a specialist .
hia my son is 11 months old and has exactly the same mirrored hand movements, he also has a small scrotum and undescended testicles! His main problem is thoracic scoliosis. the paediatrician missed his scoliosis, I discovered it and he doesn't know anything about mirrored hands, it baffled him when he saw it. He sees a spinal surgeon about his back and is seeing the neurosurgeon in 3 weeks again to discuss his hands. I thought it was just him that had this hand thing but I'm glad he's not alone!
Hello, I am a 37 yr old female who has this mirrored hands. I think it is genetic because my son had it and still has it and he is now 19 yrs old. I tried doing some research on it but not much research has been done that I can find. If anyone learns anything about this; I would appreciate any information on it. It's quite annoting and I wish there was a treatment. t_e_c_h_9_1_1***@****
My son is 25 years old and has had hand mirror movement as long as I can remember. We asked the Doctor about it when he was a toddler and was told not to worry about it, lots of children have this condition. I also have a son who is 30 years old and never had this. Nick was born one month premature and weighed 9 lbs.11 oz. I had a diabetic pregnancy. When he was one year old I noticed he fell alot but with learning to walk this seemed normal. Later he had a large petite mal seizure in front of my eyes. We wisked him to the Doctor and found out he has Epilepsy, but will out grow this. Meds worked for him and at 5 years old no more seizures. Diabeties and Epilepsy does run in my side of the family. Does his mirror imaging have anything to do with either one of these genetic diseases?
Nancy603
My hands do the same thing at the same time. I have had it since birth (I think) I am now 18 and still haven't grown out of it. If I am writing in a book, texting on a phone, scratching my ear, stirring a cup of tea...my left hand will always copy it.