Neurology Community
Bipolar and EEG's

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Bipolar and EEG's

I have bipolar, migraines w/ aura no headache and an abnormal EEG. The abnormality is an intermittent slowing in parieto-occipital lobes.

My neurologist says the slowing may be the cause of the migraines, or the migraines may be the cause of the slowing. Which is fine, the migraine peice I can wrap my mind around.

It's the bipolar peice, is there a correlation between bipolar and an abnormal EEG? As in bipolar and slowing in the parietal or occipital lobes? Or is any other part of the brain affected on an EEG in people w/ bipolar?

Curiousity is a trait of mine :)

Thank you so much for anything!
Avatar n tn
No, but you could have temporal lobe epilepsy. Bipolar and temporal lobe epilepsy produce almost the same symptoms - other than the seizures - and TLE can often be misdiagnosed as 'just' bipolar.