Neurology Community
Blackout prior to car accident

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Blackout prior to car accident

Hello.  I am a 46 year old mother of 3 and was involved in a severe accident this past Saturday.  Thankfully no one was injured although 3 cars were involved and all 3 are most likely totaled.  Prior to the accident, I was food shopping at an area market.  I remember the first half of my trip but not the latter half - no recollection of checking out, paying for the groceries (many purchases which I saw later and was shocked at - things I would never normally purchase)...brief memory of walking to the car with the cart...then a brief memory (few seconds) of driving toward home - next memory is sitting in the vehicle with police and paramedics all around in the middle of a terrible accident.  Someone following behind me said I was driving erratically and drifted over into the oncoming traffic lane, hitting another car.  Prior to this I have never had a traffic ticket, let alone an accident.  I was transported to the hospital, briefly checked out and released.  I saw my regular MD today and will be going in again next week for a complete physical and was referred to a neurologist who will see me for a consult on Friday.  My blood sugar was tested in the ambulance and it was normal - my physician seems to feel this is not chemical but neurological.  My question is - what could possibly cause this to happen?  Could this be epilepsy? Brain Tumor?  I have had lyme disease 3x in the last 5 years - could this be neurological problems from the lyme disease?  I am following up with medical care but was hoping for some insight into what the possibilities are - nothing like this has ever happened to me before.  I will not drive again until I find out what has caused this to happen - and cannot stop thinking of all of the "what if's" - of how thankful I am that no one was hurt.  Prior to this I have been feeling very exhausted, run down, occasionally light headed.  I also was taking Ambian for sleep but have not taken this since the accident and do not plan on taking it again, just in case there is any connection.  Thank you in advance for any insight or help you can provide.
I had a very similar experience Monday morning (April 30).  I remember turning into the parking lot of the hospital where I work, then the next thing I know I am surrounded by people, the air bags on my car have deployed, and I have driven hard into a pole.  I too took Ambien the night before, but it had been 9 hours since I took it, and I have taken it rarely in the past without issue.  Since I work at the hospital, I had a full workup (echocardiagram, carotid dopplers, Head and abdomen CT) and telemetry for 24 hours without any abnormalities turning up.  I am a 42 year old mother of one.

I've also recently had a car accident where I remember setting off from my house then seeing the back end of the car as it pulled out on me and then looking at my air bags thinking 'oooh, that's new...'.

Previous to my accident, I had been fairly stressed and taken sleeping pills a couple of weeks before hand. I hadn't taken any the night before my accident. I was in severe shock when the paramedics took me to hospital and I've since been told that my blackout was potentially due to stress and anxiety rather than anything else. I am perfectly safe to drive but have had no conclusive tests done.

Not sure if that's helpful?